Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 14 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by joshuaA-8 1 week, 3 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Izzi Hassan.

Author Posts
November 18, 2019 at 10:29 pm #4967979

joshuaA-8

I would like to translate the customizer parts to English and Portuguese, but since they aren't listed at the beginning I went to WPM - String Translation - Translate text to admin screens to add them manually.

So far so good. Now, they were listed and I started to translate them (only English and not both).

Unfortunately, after I updated the page, the translation is not showing up on the front end - it's still German and not the English translation I created before.

I am quite unsure why it is not showing up. I cannot find the setting "Translate the theme and plugins using WPML’s String Translationstrings " under Theme and plugin localization. Is it possible that this is the reason?

November 19, 2019 at 8:58 am #4969599

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to WPML Support.

Sometimes what can happen is that the string you think you need to translate is not actually the correct one. Different plugins could be trying to provide the same string sometimes for example.

As a first step, could you provide some front end screenshots of the strings you are trying to translate, along with the names of the strings you think they correspond to?

I would also like to request temporary access to your website to take a look and provide you with speedy support.

I have enabled a private and secure response box on your next response where you can provide these credentials.

I will not make any changes to your live website but please do take a backup just to be safe.

Thank you,
Izzi

November 19, 2019 at 9:34 am #4970193

Amit
Supporter

In order to reproduce this behavior, I would like you to temporarily install a plugin like Duplicator.
It will allow you to create a copy of your site and your content:
https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Once you have created your copy, don't hesitate to share a downloadable link filling in the fields available on the following form.
I'll get back to you as soon as I have any news.

The next message will be private.

November 19, 2019 at 10:32 am #4970743

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi,

I can help create the Duplicator package if we need it. At the moment, I tried the credentials provided and am getting an invalid password error.

Please check the password provided and update if necessary.

Best,

November 19, 2019 at 10:49 am #4970937

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi,

No problem! I have just tested the new password and it works.

We will update you as soon as we have some information for you.

Thanks!

November 19, 2019 at 3:11 pm #4973751

joshuaA-8

Hi!

Just a little question: It's not required to install the Duplicator right now, is it? I should just wait for your update, right?

Best!

November 20, 2019 at 5:48 am #4976739

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi,

I was unable to determine why those strings are not translating, and I was able to confirm that you are translating the correct strings.

With your permission, I would like to provide my team with a Duplicator copy of your website to allow us to safely debug the issue further.

You can provide us with a copy of the site yourself or allow me to install Duplicator and get the backup we need. The copy will be destroyed once your issue is marked as resolved.

Thanks Joshua!

November 20, 2019 at 11:22 am #4979279

joshuaA-8

Hello Izzi!
Thank you for your assistance. Yes, please get the backup you need for yourself.

I am looking forward to solving the issue! Thanks again for your help!

November 20, 2019 at 4:22 pm #4982155

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi Joshua,

Thank you for your response. I will update you as soon as I have some more information for you!

Best,
Izzi

November 22, 2019 at 6:55 am #4994385

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi Joshua,

I appreciate your patience. It turns out we were translating the wrong strings.

The theme actually creates duplicates of the string for your child theme. I've registered a few of those strings now as you can see in the screenshots, and translated the Kontaktier uns string to confirm that it is working.

You can see the strings I registered here:
hidden link

You can register more strings from the theme options to translate them by following the same steps you followed before, but instead of looking under theme_mods_beonepage-pro, expand theme_mods_beonepage-pro-child and you'll find a copy of the parent theme's strings there.

I hope this helps you translate your website properly now!

November 22, 2019 at 7:42 am #4994539
joshuaA-8

Hi Izzi!
Thank you very much for your help! I translated the six strings, which are listed under theme_mods_beonepage-pro-child and it does work for Portuguese and German, but English is not translated. It's still in German, too.

Moreover, there are strings missing under theme_mods_beonepage-pro-child and I cannot find them. For example, the buttons and the vertical promotion have to be translated, too.

Would you be so kind as to help me here, too? I am quite unsure where the error is!

Best regards!

New threads created by Izzi Hassan and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-string-translation-is-not-showing-up/

November 22, 2019 at 7:54 am #4994607

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi Joshua,

I can answer your first question quickly. The reason the English text still shows as German is because the initial values for those strings are entered in German but supposed to be entered in English.

To fix this issue, you can follow these steps:
- Go to the Appearance -> Customize page
- Click on Front Page
- Here you can see the initial values for all those strings and can change them to the English translations

Every option you see on this page is present on the Translate texts in admin screens page. It can take a little searching to find them and an easier way is to look at the page source for that page, then search for the text you want to translate. Sometimes you'll find multiple strings with the same value like we found above.

Please mark this ticket as resolved if you are able to fix the English translations. I will split this ticket to help you find specific strings on a new ticket. Please respond to the new ticket with the exact buttons and other texts you are unable to find and I'll be happy to assist you further. I'm sure you will be able to find strings yourself once you have a few more examples 🙂

Thank you!

November 22, 2019 at 10:40 am #4996071

joshuaA-8

Hi Izzi!
Thank you!
So, I changed the initial values to English on the front page and published them. In the customizer, they were all in English now. As updated the translations in WPML took a look at the front end afterwards, only one of them (e.g. Testimonials) was saved. The rest was in German again.
So, I took a look at the customizer again and found every initial value back in German again.

I repeated the procedure again but the result was the same. After I refreshed the customer all initial values are back in German again and the translation does not show up properly.

Can you help me?

November 25, 2019 at 9:56 am #5009897

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi,

I was able to add the English versions fine. What I think you might be missing is that you have to change the language in the Admin Area to English first as shown in the screenshots. Then you can go to the customizer and add English values.

Here is a link to quickly open the Customizer with English language set:
hidden link

Now when you change the settings, they will change for the English language. You can see this working in the screenshots as well.

Do let me know if you have further issues with this!

November 25, 2019 at 4:19 pm #5015573

joshuaA-8

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!