This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: 1. Want to change default language to German.

2. I am trying to translate the string "Item" shown within the cart.

Solution:

1. I have changed your site default language English to German from WPML >> Languages >> Site Languages and now German language is opening in this URL: https://forever-young.rostalis.de and English language will open with this URL: https://forever-young.rostalis.de/en/

2. For “Item” text translation, I have thoroughly debug this issue, WPML is translating and showing translated text successfully on frontend, but there are some JS code coming from theme that changing translated text to english text as you can see in attached screenshot.

I recommend to please ask Kingdom theme author so they can advise you on latest compatibility of their theme and WPML, may be they have fix for it.

Screenshots here: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/string-translation-is-not-working-8/#post-2778194

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Marcel Gläser 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Noman.

Author Posts
September 27, 2018 at 3:26 pm

Marcel Gläser

I am trying to: translate the strings in the header, like "Cart", "items", "checkout" and so on into German. (it is not a multilanguage site - the dummy content of products is in english, but I will add my own products with German translation), so I want to have the text on the basket button and all that string stuff into German. I used WPML for a while on other sites and there string translation works. but not here. I asked the developer of the theme "kingdom" if it is WPML ready and they said yes. but translations made in backend of "String translation" are not shown in front end. so I would asked if there is an issue, or you can advice me something...

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: in header, under the search bar: "cart" , "items", "checkout" translated into German

Instead, I got: the english strings untranslatet cart, items, checkout.

Thanks a lot and greetings from Germany, Marcel

September 28, 2018 at 11:15 am #2773398

Noman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I have logged in to your site and duplicated English home page to German to look german view and it’s showing “Cart” and “Checkout” translation correctly as you can see in attached screenshot. For Items translation Could you please go to WPML >> Theme and plugin localization and scan your theme and the WooCommerce plugin for “items” string. Now go back to your WPML >> String Translation table and you should be able to see the strings available for translation.

If still issue persists, please backup your database and website

✙ I would additionally need your permission to de-activate and re-activate Plugins and the Theme, and to change configurations on the site. This is also a reason the backup is really important.

Thank you

September 28, 2018 at 7:43 pm #2774745

Marcel Gläser

Hi Noman, thanks a lot for your help and patience. Maybe I`m too limited to solve this problem by my own or I didn`t understand. Isn`t it possible to make this German translation to hidden link ? I scanned the theme and woocommerce item strings but nothing happened.(and made translations) Can you do there something for me? I found also nothing on WPML for my special problem. Formerly I used for other websites the "string translation" single plugin and it worked. I backuped my database and installation. no problem when you should do something unexpected 🙂 Thanks and greetings from Germany, Marcel

October 1, 2018 at 1:09 pm #2778194

Noman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

I have changed your site default language English to German from WPML >> Languages >> Site Languages and now German language is opening in this URL: hidden link and English language will open with this URL: hidden link

For “Item” text translation, I have thoroughly debug this issue, WPML is translating and showing translated text successfully on frontend, but there are some JS code coming from theme that changing translated text to english text as you can see in attached screenshot.

I recommend to please ask Kingdom theme author so they can advise you on latest compatibility of their theme and WPML, may be they have fix for it, so it should work fine with wpml.

Thank you

October 1, 2018 at 5:28 pm #2778975

Marcel Gläser

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!