This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Carlos Rojas.

Author Posts
May 22, 2019 at 6:44 am #3861423

Ángel

I have a function for translate de strings:

function string_translate($text_string = '') {
if (!empty($text_string)) {
_e($text_string,'strings-theme');
}
}

I have a lot of wordpress and all with 'first language' -> Spanish, the function is working ok and update automatically the strings in String translation.

In other wordpress with 'first language' -> English, I add new strings and detect me all without problem.

But in this site, I set the 'first language' -> English and WPML not detecting the new strings like in the others wordpress, if I change the 'first language' to Spanish, it works again but I need that the first language in this wordpress must be English. And this configuration needs to go to 'Themes and plugins localization and update all the time'

Please help me I need to solve this.

May 22, 2019 at 10:04 am #3864105

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Montevideo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,
Thank you for contacting WPML support.

Please follow this steps:
- Go to WPML -> String Translation -> Check if the 'strings-theme' domain is checked in the section in the bottom left.
- Go to WPML -> Theme and plugins localization -> Scan the theme or plugin where this function is placed.
- Go to WPML -> String Translation -> Search and translate the string.

Could you tell me the result of the steps above?

Kind regards,
Carlos

May 22, 2019 at 11:19 am #3864691

Ángel

I followed the steps but I can not find the text strings

May 22, 2019 at 12:03 pm #3865065

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi there,
Thank you very much for your message.

In this case I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Regards,
Carlos

May 24, 2019 at 6:32 am #3881489

Ángel

IF you change the main language to Spanish, the String translation work, but with English like main language not working

May 24, 2019 at 6:38 am #3881513

Ángel

In my listing of sites with WPML, not checked the string translation option, translation management,....

May 24, 2019 at 9:21 am #3882933

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi there,
Thank you very much for the information provided.

1.- Could you tell me where can I find the code? And what should be the strings to translate, the value for $text_string?

2. -Regarding the issue with the registration of the site and plugins, I kindly ask you to open a new ticket and assign it directly to me. This way we will be following the forum's rule of one ticket per issue. This will also help future clients while searching for answers to similar questions in the forum.

Thank you very much for your patience and understanding!
Best regards,
Carlos

May 24, 2019 at 10:20 am #3883459

Ángel

If you edit the functions.php file, you can see a function called 'traducir', through which I translate all the text strings on the page. I use this function in the pages in / pages, and I enter the value to be translated into the function.

I use this function in other wordpress with WPML and I havent any problem.

May 24, 2019 at 3:02 pm #3885953

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi there,

I would like to ask you to follow this steps in order to isolate the cause of the issue:
- Back up your site first before making any change, this is for security reasons.
- Update all outdated plugins and themes.
- Flush any cache memory that migh exists.
- Deactivate all the plugins that are not related to WPML.
- Switch for a moment to a WordPress default theme like Twenty Seventeen.
- If the issue is gone, activate one by one to see with which one there is an interaction issue.

Could you tell me the result of this steps?

Regards,
Carlos