This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Marcel 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcel.

Author Posts
August 29, 2019 at 8:38 am #4478717

juliaR-4

I am trying to:

Translate our footer and promo bar from Swedish to English. Currently it is displayed in Swedish also on the english site.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:hidden link

I expected to see:The orange promo bar written in English as well as the text in the bottom blue footer.

Instead, I got: That the string translation is not translating. However, as I understand it I have done what's needed to translate the text. Se screen shots.

August 29, 2019 at 8:48 am #4478813

Marcel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi Julia,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support.

Can you please control your setting under WPML -> Theme and plugin localization? It should be the first option activated (translate themes and plugins using WPML's string translation only (don't load .mo files))

Another error source could be the PHP variable "max_input_vars. Could you please increase it from 3000 to 10000? Here is a doc on how to increase this: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/cant-add-string-for-translation-from-admin-strings/

Best Marcel

August 29, 2019 at 10:06 am #4479741

juliaR-4

Hi Marcel,

The PHP helped for the titles in the footer, but not for the text underneath it nor the promo bar.

It seems like there is some issue with how the strings are being registered. Even the ones in Swedish says that they are in English and then I'm not allowed to change the translated text. See screen shots. I also can't find the text to change the phone number under "Contact Us".

Thank you for your help!

August 29, 2019 at 10:58 am #4480343

Marcel
Supporter

Hi Julia,

Perfect. You can also change the default language from the Strings (the displayed flag) as described here: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/change-default-language-on-string-translations/#post-1170894

If you need any help, I also activated a private message where you can add me your site credentials, if you are having any problems during this change.

For this I would need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site
– preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible –
in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed

Your next answer will be private which means only you and I have access to it.

❌ Please backup your database and website ❌

✙ I would additionally need your permission to de-activate and re-activate Plugins and the Theme, and to change configurations on the site. This is also a reason the backup is really important.

✙ Please add the Links to the […] Edit Screen, the Page/Post where you insert the […] and the corresponding Front End Page/Screen

Best Marcel

August 29, 2019 at 12:05 pm #4480645

juliaR-4

Hi Marcel,

I just managed to find the problem and fixed it! So no more help needed today.

Thank you for your help with everything!

August 29, 2019 at 12:12 pm #4480673

Marcel
Supporter

Hello,

Great to hear that it's resolved now. Thank you for the confirmation, we are always happy to help you.

Have a great day