This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 19 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
April 1, 2019 at 5:13 pm #3510333

hugog-7

I am trying to: translate the following string (which appears on the top left bar on the website) Call Us 24/7 at

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: When I translate the string for Spanish, the entire spanish homepage switches to English and I have to revert to using the wordpress revisions feature to revert it back. The string never gets translated.

Instead, I got: No successful string translation and the spanish homepage reverting to English

April 2, 2019 at 3:32 am #3513367

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support.

The top header text is possibly based on the theme or plugin options (Admin texts) and can be translated with String Translation. Please go to WPML -> String Translation and select the option "translate strings in admin screens" at the bottom of the screen.

Now, search for the correct domain of your currently used theme or the plugin that was used to create the header bar.

Locate string for the text. Mark the checkbox for the string, scroll to the bottom and apply your selection.

The string is now available on String Translation and ready for translation.

Let me know if you need any assistance with this task.

Kind regards
Andreas

April 2, 2019 at 3:30 pm #3518783

hugog-7

Andreas,

I'm aware of how to make changes via the string translation. The issue is that it is not working. See below:

When I translate the string for Spanish, the entire spanish homepage switches to English and I have to revert to using the wordpress revisions feature to revert it back. The string never gets translated.

Instead, I got: No successful string translation and the spanish homepage reverting to English

April 2, 2019 at 6:27 pm #3519943

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

In case the string does show up wrong you can set the default language for each string or each language domain on String Translation.

(See screenshots)

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better to a testing site where the issue is replicated.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok with you.

IMPORTANT

Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:
hidden link

Kind regards
Andreas

April 3, 2019 at 10:19 pm #3530617

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I was going to scan your theme for strings at WPML -> Theme and Plugin localization and I realized that the current theme for some reasons is not listed.

Did you generally experience problems to translate any string from the theme with String Translation?

Could you please add the theme to the following test site in order for me to test it for compatibility:

hidden link

Leave me a short message once the theme is installed.

Kind regards
Andreas

April 4, 2019 at 7:55 pm #3538241

hugog-7

We've used this theme many times with WPML

April 4, 2019 at 7:57 pm #3538245

hugog-7

Just added the theme

April 4, 2019 at 10:11 pm #3538811

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you very much for adding the theme.

I was able to translate the top bar element from the admin text options. After reviewing your ticket the main issue seems to be that WPML for some reason did not registration the theme. As I informed earlier the theme is not available inside the Theme and Plugin localization options.

Could you please try to run the site in minimal setup to see if the issue persists?

Please enable the wp-debug feature to see if there are any current PHP errors given.

Edit/add these both lines to your wp-conig.php file:

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

Add those lines right above the comment:
/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

In case of a given error a debug .log file will be created inside the folder wp-content. Please provide me the report results.

More information about how to activate this feature you can find here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/

Kind regards
Andreas

April 4, 2019 at 10:16 pm #3538813

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Additional to my last email I came across this ticket.

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/theme-does-not-appear-under-strings-in-the-theme-list/

It might be that changes in the theme caused that it is not using the correct language domain. Did you make any custom code changes on your currently used theme?

Kind regards
Andreas

April 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm #3560431

hugog-7

Andreas - if I sent over FTP details would you be able to troubleshoot this further?

April 8, 2019 at 8:51 pm #3561277

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hi!

Thank you for your message.

Usually, our support does not cover any custom coding, but as I think that the issue might be solved with a minor change I would kindly like to ask you to provide access.

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/

Your next message is set to private by default. Please also provide again access to your site. It seems at the moment the site is down, as I was not able to access it.

Could you please try to run the site in minimal setup to see if the issue persists?

Please disable any additional plugin that is not related to WPML and its add-ons. If the issue disappears please start reactivating any plugins, or activate them in small groups. This way please verify at which points the issue appears again to indicate the plugin that is causing the issue.

Also please change to a default theme like TwentySeventeen to see if the issue might be theme related.

Further, you could enable the wp-debug feature to see if there are any current PHP errors given.
More information about how to activate this feature you can find here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/

Kind regards
Andreas

April 9, 2019 at 3:17 pm #3568673

hugog-7

I notice we are also getting the following error in the dashboard, wondering if it is related. I tried the suggested fix and it did not resolve it.

WPML is missing some records in the languages tables and it cannot fully work until this issue is fixed.
Please go to the Troubleshooting page and click on "Clear language information and repopulate languages" to fix this problem.

This warning will disappear once this issue is fixed.

April 9, 2019 at 3:23 pm #3568755

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

After having a look at the dashboard of your site I was able to see a notification from WPML referring to issues with some of your database tables.
(See screenshot)

Important, please make a complete backup of your site and database before proceeding with the next step.

Please click the option Troubleshooting inside of this notification and then run the Clean Up options on the WPML Troubleshooting Page. You can also reach these options by going to WPML -> Support -> Troubleshooting.

Let me know if this solved the issue.

Kind regards
Andreas

April 10, 2019 at 3:57 pm #3578233

hugog-7

Thank you,

I ran through all the Clean Up buttons. We do have daily backups on this site, as well as have a secondary clone site setup so we can troubleshoot as necessary without an issue.

The Clean Up didn't resolve the issue however. I've also updated all the WPML plugins to the latest.

The current issues we're experiencing before we can launch are:

1. String translation seems to reset the Spanish homepage to display English (weird)
2. Error on the backend (possibly related?)
3. New issue, we're trying to change the logo to spanish on the spanish side. I've updated this through the media translator but it doesn't seem to take. (lowest priority).

April 10, 2019 at 4:13 pm #3578387

hugog-7

On the clone site, I deactivated all non WPML plugins and these issues persist, so I've ruled that out.