This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by peterV-67 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcos Vinicios Barreto.

Author Posts
August 7, 2019 at 4:27 pm

peterV-67

I am trying to: translate 2 strings 'Read more..." and "Favorite" of the Geodirectory Plugin. The strings are available in English in the WPML string translation overview and are translated into Dutch as are the other strings "New" and "No reviews". With these last 2 their is no issue. They are translated into "Nieuw" and " Geen reviews" and this you can see on the page.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:hidden link

I expected to see:I expected to see "Lees verder" instead of "Read more" and "Favoriet" instead of "Favorite"

Instead, I got:

August 8, 2019 at 12:24 pm #4362731

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Bahia (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I took a detailed look in your website and performed some tests, unfortunately the issue still persists, I suspect of a compatibility issue here, in these cases, please proceed this way:

• Install the theme/plugin in a clean installation and reproduce the problem in this new installation. So we can isolate it and do some testing without the interference of server settings or other plugins
  • After this, I will check the problem in this new installation and look for a quick solution
    If I can not find a solution, I will forward the problem to our compatibility team.
  • The compatibility team will do some more testing and will contact the product author to fix the issue

I created a test website with a clean WordPress install. You can access it through this link:
hidden link - Through this link you will be automatically logged in.

Please upload the (theme/plugin) to this test install, setup it the same way as in your website (using the same options) and create some dummy content to reproduce the issue. Please note that we only need the (theme/plugin) and the related functionality, you don't need to setup a entire website or clone your existing site. The fewer plugins the better. In your case for example, you can just upload your theme and the core GeoDirectory plugin, instead of uploading all its addons.

After that, please send us clear steps on how to see/reproduce the issue on this test install. We will run some tests.

Please, let me know when you are ready, thank you for your collaboration, have a nice day.

August 9, 2019 at 9:17 am #4368925

peterV-67

Hello, I tried to setup the environment. Installation of Divi was in order but when i downloaded the GeoDirectory plugin I got a white screen with the message that the site had technical issues and that I should check the admin email inbox. I offcourse do not have access to that mailbox so I can not proceed with futher installation of GeoDirectory by using the default plugin installation method because the website does not respond anymore.

Can you check what went wrong please. Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Peter

August 9, 2019 at 2:25 pm #4371113

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello Peter,

Thank you for the updates. I could manage to finish the GeoDirectory installation properly, can you please let me know if you are able to reproduce the issue in this sandbox installation? Thank you for your collaboration and patience, have a nice day.

August 11, 2019 at 11:47 am #4376919

peterV-67

I have setup the page hidden link
Their I could reproduce the issue for "Favorite". In the string translation you will find this word under the domain Geodirectory. Easy to find if you use exact match. Their you will see that i did the translation to "Favoriet". On the page you will still see "Favorite" instead of the translation. The translation of "Read more" did work in the sandbox environment but is still an issue on the real website as is favorite. Thanks for the follow up. Kind regards.

August 14, 2019 at 3:49 pm #4396493

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello Peter,

Thank you for the updates. I took a detailed look at the GeoDirectory settings in the sandbox environment and noticed the 'Favorite' text indeed is not translatable even in a miminal clean setup the sandbox provides and it sounds like a new confirmed compatibility issue here, I will forward this ticket to our compatibility team for further analysis.

As regarding the 'Read more...' text it is now translatable also in your website as you can confirm at: hidden link. I noticed you didn't translate all the ocurrencies of it in your String Translation settings, I translate all the 'read more' related text and now it is fixed.

I will update you here as soon as I get some more details from our compatibility team regarding the specific 'favorite' string translation. Thank you for your patience and understanding, have a nice day.

August 14, 2019 at 6:16 pm #4397035

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for your patience while waiting for a solution. I got some more details from our compatibility team, the issue is caused due the 'Favorite' string is being stored too early in a variable which prevents WPML from translating it properly on the website frontend, as a quick workaround, please, try the following:

1 - In your theme functions.php file enter this custom code:

add_filter ('geodir_favourite_text', function ($favourite_text) {return __($favourite_text, 'geodirectory');});

2 - Save it and test your website frontend again. You can see the result of this custom code at: hidden link.

Please, let me know if it works in your particular case, thank you for your collaboration, have a nice day.

August 18, 2019 at 8:27 am #4411757

peterV-67

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!