This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Raja Mohammed 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Raja Mohammed.

Author Posts
August 15, 2019 at 6:50 pm

eelcoW

Hi guys,

WPML String Translation plug-in is slowing down our website like crazy. Front-end and back-end. When we disable the plugin the website is fast again.

All steps on this page are already taken: https://wpml.org/faq/prevent-performance-issues-with-wpml/
We also changed our back-end to English, but this didn't fix anything either.

Any solutions?

August 16, 2019 at 6:27 am #4404835

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hi there,

Welcome to our forum, I will help you with your issue.

We are currently working on improving the performance issues with String translation. Recently our developers have released a beta version of WPML 4.3.0. Which resolve most of the performance issue with String translation.

I would suggest you try the beta version in a testing environment or the clone of your site before you try on your live site. Its highly recommended to secure a backup of your site and database before tying the beta version

This is a real solution to the performance issue. More details about performance improvement and how to install the beta version can be obtained from https://wpml.org/2019/08/wpml-4-3-beta-1-with-much-faster-string-translation/

Please note the beta version does not support multisite installation yet

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Kind regards
Raja

August 21, 2019 at 11:15 am #4430655

eelcoW

Hi Raja,

I tried installing the beta version of String Translation. It's active, but it doesn't appear in the WPML settings.
I do get the following error:

----
WPML Update is Incomplete
You are running updated woocommerce-multilingual, wpml-media-translation and wpml-string-translation, but the following components are not updated:

- sitepress-multilingual-cms
- wpml-translation-management

Your site will not work as it should in this configuration Please update all components which you are using. For WPML components you can receive updates from your WPML.org account or automatically, after you register WPML.
----

All plug-ins are up-to-date:

Plugin Name Status Active Version
WPML Multilingual CMS Installed Yes 4.2.7.1
WPML CMS Nav Not installed No n/a
WPML String Translation Installed Yes 3.0.0-b.6
WPML Sticky Links Not installed No n/a
WPML Translation Management Installed Yes 2.8.6.2
WPML Media Installed Yes 2.5.2
WooCommerce Multilingual Installed Yes 4.6.5
Gravity Forms Multilingual Not installed No n/a
Yoast SEO Multilingual Not installed No n/a

August 21, 2019 at 1:43 pm #4431947

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This is due to the fact you have just updated only the String translation to the latest beta version and all other plugins are in the older version.

Please update all the WPML plugins to the latest beta version to get rid of the errors, Once updated check if the issue persists.