Please make sure to update to WPML to the latest and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 27 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Ahmed Mohammed 2 years, 7 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Ahmed Mohammed.

Author Posts
June 27, 2017 at 10:10 am #1306404

Cara Mc Donough

Hello,

This is my first time using WPML and my second day working on translating text. I am not a developer, so appreciate your patience with my questions.

I am using the X Theme and Cornerstone. I have finished building the website in the default language (English) and proceeded yesterday with adding the German language and translating. So far, I have managed to complete the translation of the menu’s and most of the content into Germany. However, I have a couple of issues where I need your assistance:

1. On each of the pages in WordPress there is a notification “Scan now” listed for all the plugins I use. I need to ask if I need to scan these, if so what selection in the next steps do I need to select? Apologies…quite possible that I can “dismiss all these notices”, but wanted to clarify first.

2. Language selection in the navigation is not showing correctly when I hover over or select the flag. I am expecting to only see the flag. The blank space beside it, marked in red in the attached screenshot should not be listed. How can I remove the blank space.

3. As highlighted above, I have been able to translate most of the content using the standard “+” for the default page. However, a lot of elements on different pages still need to be translated, or further modifications for different resolutions need to be carried out. I assumed that I could translate these manually in Cornerstone directly. When I click on “Edit Cornerstone” for the specific page the layout is not listed. As an example, I have attached a screenshot of the German homepage, as you can see the layout is empty. Why are the sections and layout not showing for the “other” language? What am I missing, what do I need to do?

I am currently using a test platform to build the website. hidden link

Appreciate your assistance. Many thanks

June 27, 2017 at 12:12 pm #1306517

Bernat Torras

Hi Cara,

Thanks for contacting support, I'll do my best to help you with this! 🙂

Here is my feedback for your questions:

1. These notifications are only asking you if you want to scan these plugins for translatable strings (strings that you'll be able to translate in WPML>String Translation). You don't necessarily need to scan these plugins for strings. By default WPML will automatically register all translatable strings (from your theme or plugins) that are appearing in your site when you (or any other user) renders the Frontend page. So, if you want, you can dismiss all these notifications and translate your strings in WPML>String Translation. If you see that you can't find some particular strings in String Translation, you can go to WPML>Theme and plugins localization and scan the needed theme or plugin from there.

2. At first glance, it seems like a css conflict with your theme. I've checked it and I see that your theme is adding a minimum width of 200px to all elements in your menu. If you want to change it (by reducing the size of this element to its contents) you'll need to override this css rule with a new one with higher hierarchy. You could easily achieve this by adding this code to any of your active css stylesheets (or in WPML>Languages>custom css):

header .desktop .sub-menu{
	min-width: inherit;
}

3. Could you check if you can find these untranslated strings in WPML>String Translation? If they appear there, try to translate them and mark them as complete. Once done, check if they appear properly translated in Frontend. If you can't see these strings in String Translation, provide us more information of these fields (a screenshot of the default language customizer would help) to let us get a better understanding of which fields are you trying to translate.

Thanks,
Bernat

June 27, 2017 at 1:34 pm #1306625

Cara Mc Donough

Hi Bernat,
Thanks for your prompt reply.
1. Thanks for your feedback...I've dismissed all notices 🙂

2. Excellent...thank's for the CSS code. Looks great now.

3. I'm not having much luck finding what I need on the String Translation page. I've checked a couple of pages and this is what is not showing up for translation:
• h-custom-headline cs-ta-center h3
• x-promo-content
• x-accordion-inner
• x-tab-pane
• x-nav-tabs
• h4 (although confused, as this should be showing…see hidden link - last Section “MS Modelling for multiple devices:”

I hope I've send you the codes you need. Otherwise, I can forward my credentials in a private message if it helps.

Thanks again for your assistance. Fantastic!
Cara

June 28, 2017 at 7:30 am #1307202

Cara Mc Donough

Morning Bernat,

If I cannot find a solution for point 3, i.e. cannot locate & activate the missing elements for translation, is it possible to "re-"build the German page from scratch in Cornerstone?

Appreciate your feedback...reluctant to proceed before I clarify. Otherwise, I might end up with more issues, or even corrupted data.

Many thanks again for your assistance,
Cara

June 28, 2017 at 12:24 pm #1307513

Bernat Torras

Hi Cara,

Happy to know that #1 and #2 are solved. 🙂

Regarding your remaining issue, I think we'll need to take a deeper look at your backend to try to find these strings and check how can we translate them. I've marked your next reply as private. Could you please provide us the following?

1- Backend and ftp credentials of your site.

2- Clarify us the strings that you can't translate. Are you defining them in Cornerstone editor? If so, please send us a screenshot where we can see these strings (in the backend editor and in the Frontend).

Thanks,
Bernat

June 29, 2017 at 12:14 pm #1308526

Bernat Torras

Hi Cara,

Checking these screenshots I'd say that you're having problems with the following shortcodes (Cornerstone modules), right?:

- x_promo
- cs_text
- x_custom_headline
- x_tab

Can you check them and confirm that the strings that you can't translate are all coming from these shortcodes? If notm please provide us the correct shortcodes.

And I understand that these fields are not appearing in WPML Transaltion editor when you try to translate your page? Or they actually appear?

If they don't appear as individual translatable fields, try to go to WPML>Translation Management>Translation Jobs and cancell in progress translations of these pages (to make sure that translation editor is not keeping a cached list of translatable fields). Then, go to Dashboard>Updates and click update button in 'Theme and Plugins compatibility with WPML' section. Finally try to deactivate and activate WPML again and check if the fields appear now when using WPML Translation editor.

Can you try it and tell us if the issue persists?

Thanks,
Bernat

June 29, 2017 at 12:17 pm #1308528

Bernat Torras

By the way, regarding your new question, try to add the code to WPML>Languages>Additional Css or to any of your active css stylesheets. If the issue persists, please create a new support ticket for this (you can ask for me there if you want). We try to keep our forum organized with one issue per ticket to help other users that could be experiencing similar problems and searching for the solution.

Thanks,
Bernat

June 29, 2017 at 1:18 pm #1308610

Cara Mc Donough

Hi Bernat,
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, these are the Cornerstone modules that are not showing in the WPML Translation editor:
- x_promo
- cs_text
- x_custom_headline
- x_tab

I have followed all the steps you advised. FYI, there were no Translation Jobs listed under "Translation in progress". When I select "complete" and filter, all pages/posts are listed and split into 3 batches. I've attached a screenshot.

I proceeded with the Update as advised on the Dashboard and deactivating and activating WPML, but no luck. The above Cornerstone modules are still missing in the WPML Translation editor.

Help!

June 30, 2017 at 6:34 am #1309142

Bernat Torras

Hi Cara,

I think that we'll need to check some things in your theme code and maybe run some tests on a local replica of your site. Could you edit your previous private reply and add FTP credentials there to let us take a look at your theme code?

Also, please install 'Duplicator' plugin and generate a backup of your site (you can exclude 'uploads' folder to reduce the backup size). This way we'll be able to replicate your site in our local servers and run some tests if needed.

Thanks,
Bernat

July 3, 2017 at 9:21 am #1310431

Cara Mc Donough

Morning Bernat,
I installed Duplicator, but received a “Fail” error message for “Paths”. It seems to be a very common problem. None of the solutions listed in the forum or by the support worked, including installation of a different version of the Duplicator plugin.

Currently, we have a special deal with our hosting provider that has setup the test site, so I don’t have access to the PHP file.

I proceeded with following your instructions posted last Thursday again: update, deactivate, activate, search, but still no luck. The strings are still not showing. Afraid that these are classified as other strings, I checked all strings manually!!!! But could not locate.

I provided you with my credentials in a private email last Wednesday. Did you logon and check yourself? Perhaps, there is something I am missing or overseeing? If you need me to provide my credentials again, please let me know and classify as private.

I have also re-activated the Duplicator plugin. Perhaps you have more luck duplicating the site?

If this doesn’t work, do you have an alternative solution?
Worst case scenario, I am willing to lose the current pages I’ve translated into German, delete the WPML plugin and re-install if that solves the problem?

Needless to say my frustration after a full week is growing and I really need to find a solution and find out what the problem is and why these strings are not showing.

Hope you can help.

Look forward to your feedback.

Thanks,
Cara

July 4, 2017 at 12:28 pm #1311610

Bernat Torras

Hi Cara,

I've tried to generate a Duplicate of your site but I see that some folders doesn't have enough permission. Could you contact your hosting provider and ask them if they can grant write permission to these folders? /homepages/1/d615086134/htdocs/app674554283/wp-snapshots
and /homepages/1/d615086134/htdocs/app674554283/wp-snapshots/tmp. This way we'll be able to download your site and run some tests to try to understand what is happening.

Also, I've created a test draft page in your site with the contents of your "CAREER" page. I tried then to translate it using Translation Editor and I see that some more fields appear. Can you check it? In any case, I've also tried it in our compatibility test site in our servers (a test site designed to test our compatibility with this theme) and I can see few more fields (see screenshot). I'm not sure which could be the difference between your site and our compatibility site, but maybe you could try to use WPML beta version (you can download it from https://wpml.org/account/downloads/) and see if more fields appear in the Transaltion Editor screen.

So, to sum up, can you try the following?

1- Grant permissions to duplicator folders
2- Check if the translation editor contain the proper fields when:
2.1- Translating test draft page
2.2- Translating a copy of your page in our compatibility site (check screenshot)
3- Try to install WPML beta version and check if there's any improvement

Thanks,
Bernat

July 5, 2017 at 10:41 am #1312474

Cara Mc Donough

Hi Bernat,
Here's an update as to where I am:

1- Grant permissions to duplicator folders -
I have checked, but this is not possible. This is a managed site provided by our hosting company for test purposes.

2- Check if the translation editor contain the proper fields when:
2.1- Translating test draft page - No (not in German)

2.2- Translating a copy of your page in our compatibility site (check screenshot) - Didn't make any difference

3- Try to install WPML beta version and check if there's any improvement - Yes, I even deactivated and deleted all WPML plugins and installed all beta versions available using the link you provided. The result is the same, no change. The same fields in WPML translator are still missing and also still not listed in String Translation

As a result and having absolutely no success, I suggest the following:
1. Giving you full permission to change, add, delete or re-install on our test site...what ever is needed to fix this problem. Please use the same credentials provided last Wednesday. I will not log on or use WordPress as of tomorrow Thursday or Friday. Please note: when testing the WPML translator, please use German, see point 2 above.

2. If by Monday next week (10th July), the problem still hasn't been identified, or a fix has been implemented then I will have to start looking at alternative plugins. I sincerely hope it doesn't come to this, but by that stage I will have wasted 2 weeks and I'm under pressure to complete the website.

Eagerly awaiting your update.

Thanks,
Cara

July 5, 2017 at 2:41 pm #1312708

Cara Mc Donough

Hi Bernat,
I have been able to locate 1 missing element. I added 3 other elements which I will need in the future. I selected all 4 and proceeded with adding it to the translation basket.
Under "Translations Jobs" I selected myself (local) as translator and the received the emails accordingly. Selecting the link in the emails brings me back to the String translation page.

How can I add these missing strings, so they show up under WPML translator for the respective pages?

I proceeded with changing different options and settings, but nothing seems to work. I also checked your documentation and other threads, but no luck.

As suggested in my earlier post today, I will refrain from using WordPress tomorrow and Friday and hopefully, you will be able to assist fixing this problem.

Thanks again,
Cara

July 5, 2017 at 2:48 pm #1312712

Cara Mc Donough

Attached a screenshot of the translation batch, that I need to process or update in WPML editor.

July 6, 2017 at 10:07 am #1313317

Cara Mc Donough

Hi Bernat,
I wanted to let you know that I will be out of the office until Wednesday next week.
I have been thinking about other alternatives to solving the problem and would prefer to discuss in a call.

Perhaps you have luck in resolving the problem over the next couple of days, if not is there any chance we can discuss in a call? I'm not sure if it is standard policy.

If you forward your tel. no. and timezone, I could give you a call on my return next Wednesday 12th July. Please let me know what time suits you best.

Thanks,
Cara