Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 27 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Ahmed Mohammed 3 years, 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Ahmed Mohammed.

Author Posts
July 6, 2017 at 1:40 pm #1313568

Bernat Torras

Hi Cara,

Ok, we'll try to work on your staging site, but it's always better (and quicker) to be able to perform tests in a local copy of the site (or at least having access to ftp). I'll try to add our compatibility developers here to help, but just to be sure we have all the details to replicate your site, could you please provide us detailed steps to replicate your issues in your site? Please add the following to each issue description:

1- Backend url of the affected page

2- Screenshots of the page builder where we can see the sections that you're not able to translate. Add some annotations to these screenshots to point out the fields (in the page builder) that are not appearing in the backend. We need to know exactly from which modules are they coming from and check their settings.

3- Steps you're following to send this page to translation

Do the same for the strings you can't translate too.

PS: If you want to make even more simple, you could also record a quick screencast showing us how are you defining these fields and how are you sending them to translation (and replicate the problem)

Thanks,
Bernat

July 6, 2017 at 3:31 pm #1313732

Cara Mc Donough

Hi Bernat,
Thanks for your feedback. I fully understand that this request isn’t the norm and really appreciate your assistance and that of the compatibility developers.

Here’s all the requested info below and attached screenshots:

Points 1 & 2:
Issue Hompage (German Version):
Backend URL: hidden link
Attached screenshot displaying issue on frontend and copy of source code not available in WPML Translator
Issue applicable for Cornerstone Custom Headline on page.

Issue Managetopia page (German Version:
Attached screenshot displaying issue on frontend, listing WP source code not listed in WPML Translator and Cornerstone element
Issue applicable for both Promo elements on the page.

Issue “Beratung” Page (German Consultancy Page):
Attached screenshot displaying issue on frontend, listing WP source code not listed in WPML Translator and Cornerstone element
Issue applicable for all 3 Cornerstone Accordion Items listed on the page.

Issue “Development” Page (German Development Page):
Issue applicable Cornerstone Tab and Text.

Issue “Karriere” Page (German Career Page):
Same Cornerstone / WPML Translator issue as “Beratung” page – Accordion Item

Issue News Page (German Version):
Backend URL: hidden link (Blank – Blog Index Page!!!)
I could not find these strings on the String Translation Page

Point 3:
Steps taken to send this page to translation…
Not really any steps taken as such…All elements except for the above missing elements listed in WPML Translator. I am having extreme difficulties with the String Translation page. After downloading the “beta” version advised yesterday, I changed the More Options preference to “Administrator” yesterday and found a missing string, but like I wrote yesterday had difficulties activating this automatically in WPML Translator.

I have gone to exhausting lengths to find documentation and look at other threads for the String Translation page, but nothing helped. In any case, appreciate for future reference regarding my query above and posted yesterday if you could provide feedback on the process involved regarding the “String Translation Page”. Once I’ve searched found a missing string. Where do I go from there in order to add these to the WPML translator for the respective pages?

As I said from the very beginning. I am not a developer and have a feeling that this is a simple fix.

I will be back in the office next Wednesday, but will check my emails from time to time to ensure I comeback with any questions you may have, so we can get this resolved.

Really appreciate your patience and assistance on this.

Thanks,
Cara

July 7, 2017 at 2:09 pm #1314528

Bernat Torras

Hi Cara,

Thanks for all the detailed information. I've been able to replicate some of your issues in a fresh install and I've decided to escalate the problem to compatibility developers. They'll take a deeper look at it and make sure that all fields appear in Translation Editor.

Regarding the Strings Translation question, when you send a page to translate, it shouldn't include any strings to translate (you should be able to translate everything in the Translation Editor). If you want to send certain string to translate, you should select them in WPML>String Translation, then add them to the translation basket and send it to a translator. Once done, this translator should be able to find these strings and translate them in his backend's Strings Translation page.

I've already informed the developers about your hurry, I am sure that they'll do their best to attend it as quick as possible, but I can't guarantee you any estimated date (as they're working on many other compatibility issues at the same time).

I'm sure you'll understand it.

Thanks,
Bernat

July 13, 2017 at 12:35 pm #1318758

Bernat Torras

Hi Cara,

Our compatibility team is still debugging your site, but can you help us with one test? Could you try to create one of these pages again, adding all the same content but using Cornerstone page editor only? Maybe you have edited some of the page content using visual or text editor and broke some of the structure needed for Cornerstone editor (as it doesn't seem to work when trying to edit your content again).

Can you try it and tell us if you're able to translate the contents properly using Translation Editor?

Thanks,
Bernat

July 13, 2017 at 12:54 pm #1318780

Cara Mc Donough

Hi Bernat,
To avoid any mis-understanding. Do you mean re-create a page in English with Cornerstone and then proceed with entering the German translation in the WPML translation editor?

If this is the case…
I “re”-built a draft page of the consultancy page in English in Cornerstone on JUNE 29 and proceeded with the WPML translation editor, but the missing Accordion element didn’t show, so no change and no success.
After you suggested I download and install the beta version on July 4th, I spent most of the morning on July 5th rebuilding & publishing 3 of the pages in English with Cornerstone, i.e. Home, Career and Development and proceeding then with the WPML translation editor, but again none of the missing elements as highlighted in my post on July 6th were listed. All elements still missing.

If above is what you are referring to then I don’t see why I should try and rebuild/replicate again.

If you are referring to something else, please be more specific.

Thanks,
Cara

July 13, 2017 at 3:55 pm #1319030

Ahmed Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Arabic (العربية )

Timezone: Africa/Cairo (GMT+02:00)

Hi Cara,

This is Ahmed from WPML Compatibility Team and I'll continue with you resolving this issue 🙂

I could replicate the issue and moreover, I could find where the culprit is.

Let me first explain the issue:

Our tests to reproduce the issue were failing because we didn't test the nested shortcodes. And because of those nested shortcodes, you're having this weird issue.

For example, while you're using the Custom Heading, you're adding inside it an X Icon element. Every element you have an issue with is containing a nested shortcode.

As shown in the attached screenshot, the issue is fixed in the upcoming WPML release (WPML 3.8).

For now, you can either wait for WPML 3.8 which will be released in a couple of weeks or use the manual translation method which is explained in this page https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/page-builders/translating-content-created-with-page-builders-using-manual-translation/ . Please note that you will need to delete the current translation if you're willing to use the manual translation method.

Please let me know of that helps!

July 18, 2017 at 11:29 am #1321824

Cara Mc Donough

Hi Ahmed,

Many thanks for your reply.
I am delighted to hear that you have been able to identify the problem.

With regards to your suggestion using the manual translation method, this would only be an interim solution until the new release. This is also backed up with Bernat’s last reply posted July 13th. I certainly don't wait to start over with the translations now and then in a couple of weeks after the release start again.

You said that the next release was due in a couple of weeks. This is very vague and I need some dates to work with. Can you please be more specific about the timeframe for the release of version 3.8.

Also, although you have identified the problem with the nested shortcodes and provided the screenshot which will fix a couple of my issues reported on 2 pages, what about the other elements listed and the different nested shortcodes applied? Can you guarantee that there will be a fix for all issues on all pages with the new 3.8 release?

Eagerly awaiting your feedback.

Thanks,
Cara

July 18, 2017 at 1:15 pm #1321924

Ahmed Mohammed
Supporter

Hi Cara,

Thanks for your reply.

About the solution I offered. I can say, it's not a temporary one. You can always use the manual translation method if you're going to translate your content by yourself and you'll not send it to the professional translators.

About the release date of WPML 3.8. It's in the QA phase and I cannot tell when the actual release date for it.

Regards,

July 18, 2017 at 2:19 pm #1321990

Cara Mc Donough

Hi Ahmed,
Can you guarantee that the new release will fix all the issues I have on all pages?

Thanks,
Cara

July 18, 2017 at 3:58 pm #1322082

Ahmed Mohammed
Supporter

Hi Cara,

I can guarantee that the new version will fix all the issues you reported in this ticket 🙂

Best,

July 19, 2017 at 7:10 am #1322420

Cara Mc Donough

Hi Ahmed,
Excellent news indeed.
Many thanks for your assistance on this, appreciate it.

One last question, is there any possibility you can send me an email once you know the release date?
All Newsletters are checked in my profile, but it would really help if I could be notified in advance.

Otherwise, please proceed and close this ticket.

Thanks again,
Cara

July 19, 2017 at 7:35 am #1322435

Ahmed Mohammed
Supporter

Hi Cara,

I have marked this ticket as 'Fixed in next release' and once the new release is out, I'll update you.

Thanks and have a nice day!

The topic ‘[Closed] String Translation question, Language Selection spacing, editing in Cornerstone’ is closed to new replies.