This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by emelieC 1 year, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
May 3, 2018 at 7:24 am #1948677

Alessandro

I wrote some post about string translation issue. I ask You if there are some news about imporvement of string translation. Too many people encounter the same problem but none of You solved defitenly the situation. I know You do Your best and Your support is simply fantastic, but development departement seems doesn't care about this critical issue. STRING TRANSLATION SLOW DOWN SERVER: That's it! We have got a lot of website with wpml installed with the same issue..different plugin different themes same problem.
Searching in the forum I noticed that a lot of people solved deactivating string translation. May can give us a procedure to deactivating it without loosing translations?
Thak You very much for everything You could do.
Alessandro

May 4, 2018 at 10:34 am #1973499

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

1. String Translation performance
I don´t know if it´s possible to give you a general solution. String Translation can take a lot of resources depending on how many plugins and theme strings are loaded in the tables.

You have options to help performance specific to String Translation here:
https://wpml.org/faq/why-string-translation-appears-to-slow-down-sites/

Once you have turned off the option to “Auto register strings for translation” you could then go and delete domains and strings that you do have translations for or that you do not use. This would make the table sizes smaller which could help.

And if you still have unacceptable performance, we can look at the sites on a case-by-case basis. Please do the preliminary debugging and send us the results as described here:
https://wpml.org/faq/how-to-debug-performance-problems/

2. Turning off string translation
You can stop using string translation for your template texts by creating .mo files from the existing entries in the String Translation table. e.g. export your strings to a .po file and then use POEDIT to create .mo from them.

Then you can set the option to only use .mo files in
WPML -> Theme and plugin localization -> Localization options ->How to translate strings in themes and plugins? -> Don't use String Translation to translate themes and plugins

This will take care of your localized texts but I am not sure it will handle your translated theme/plugin options. (e.g. admin-texts). The same doubt extends to texts of widgets and menus. You might give it a try and let me know.

I hope this has answered your question.

May 4, 2018 at 11:24 am #1973972

Alessandro

Good morning Yvette!!!
We already worked together and as I said a lot of time, I sincerely think YOU ARE THE BEST WPML SUPPORTER that every user could meet.
I supposed a solution like the second one You exposed.
I 'll proceed as follow:
- tranlsate every string needed with string translation
- export .po then create .mo with poedit
- put these files in wp-content/languages/plugin or theme (depending on single need)
- I suppose the po/mo files created are stored in db, then also if String translation is deactivated, they should be work (why not?).
At the moment I don't want to close the Topic, because if this work flow works, I'd like to share this answer with other user (unfortunately many), that has got the same problem on their on server.
I naturally agree with You that every single website has got his own story (plugins, configurations, server performance and so on) but in my specific case I know exactly what we write and hw used.. and string translation absorbs too many resources (intensive db/memory stress).
I'll let You know asap.
Thank You for Your G R E A T work.
Warm regards
Ale

May 4, 2018 at 2:03 pm #1976661

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Well you certainly know how to make a Friday nice! Thank you for your kind words. = )

I´m interested in well to see how things turn out for you.
I´ll wait for your update in your next reply

May 13, 2018 at 8:36 am #2103431

Alessandro

Good morning DIVINE Yvette!
Finally I finished the test.
What did I discover (and finally applied)?
When You export all the .mo created with String Translation and switch the plugin on deactivated mode the translation doesn't work.
I tried to activate it and in the settings I selected "don't use String Translation.
Doesn't work.
In the meanwhile our server was collapsing.
Then any attempt until that moment, didn't solve the issue...BUT I noticed that a lot of plugin during the lifetime of the websites leaves some data in db.
String translation doesn't know if they already exist or not.
Anyway switching off the option (in string translation) to scan every plugin SOLVED (apparently) the problem.
As You can see in the attachement after that operation something change server side 😀
Cross finger..!
I hope this can help other people who have encountered the same problem.
And people remember ...if Yvette could not help You ...NO WAYOUT ! 😛
Warm regards Yvette
Ale

October 11, 2018 at 7:55 am #2807039

emelieC

Hi Ale,

We have been looking for a solution like this for 3 years. We have the same issue as you.
Now I want to do this: Switching off the option (in string translation) to scan every plugin SOLVED (apparently) the problem.

Where to I switch of to scan every plugin?

Hope to get a quick reply.

Thank you
Emelie