This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: String translation standart language say english but is german

Solution: You can easily change the language of a string by selecting it in WPML>String Translation and clicking the 'change language of selected strings' button. Once you click the button, a popup will appear where you'll be able to select the proper language for your string.

After chosing the new language, you'll be able to reload the page and see that the string is associated to this new language and translate it properly to the rest of your languages.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by jochenipunkt 2 years, 9 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bernat Torras.

Author Posts
June 8, 2017 at 3:30 pm #1294217

jochenipunkt

I am trying to: translate strings from english into german but the main language is german and i cannot change the source language

June 9, 2017 at 7:49 am #1294683

Bernat Torras

Hi Jochen,

Thanks for contacting support, I'll do my best to help you with this! 🙂

You can easily change the language of a string by selecting it in WPML>String Translation and clicking the 'change language of selected strings' button. Once you click the button, a popup will appear where you'll be able to select the proper language for your string.

After chosing the new language, you'll be able to reload the page and see that the string is associated to this new language and translate it properly to the rest of your languages.

Can you try it and tell us if it works?

Thanks,
Bernat

June 9, 2017 at 9:30 am #1294785

Joanna

Hello Jochen Ihl,

Such a situation may happen when at some point the default site language is different that the language of theme/plugin strings. However, you can easily change the original language of your strings. For this, follow the steps below:
1. Select strings that need to have a different original language
2. Click the "Change language of selected strings" button.
3. Select the correct language.
4. Click the "Apply" button.
You can find the instructions with screenshots at https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/ in the "Original Language of Strings" section.

June 9, 2017 at 1:47 pm #1295069

jochenipunkt

YAY this works - perfect thanks a lot for your help!