This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by osamuW 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
August 2, 2019 at 6:22 pm

osamuW

I am trying to: Restore the French translation.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: French translation

Instead, I got: English words

August 2, 2019 at 10:30 pm #4332801

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Thank you for contacting us. Did this happen after any changes? For example, updating any plugins? If so, do you have the previous version of the site in any backup copy?

Also, please, can I install the Duplicator plugin (or All in One Migration) to make a copy of your site and install it on my test environment? This will help me debug the problem.

Thank you.

August 3, 2019 at 4:29 pm #4334869

osamuW

Yes, I think this happened when we updated all the plugins two weeks ago. We back up the site every week, so we can restore the site if needed.

I have installed Duplicator plugin so that you can make a copy of the site. Thanks so much for your quick reply.

August 6, 2019 at 1:56 am #4343343

Bruno
Supporter

Sorry for the delay. Yes, please restore the previous backup where the site was working correctly. Then we can make a copy of your site using the Duplicator so we can check what is going on.

Please, let me know when you are ready.

Thank you.

August 6, 2019 at 4:33 pm #4349623

osamuW

Hi Bruno,

The issue is that my client has updated a bunch of content recently and they don't want any content to be lost.
Alternatively, we have backup files via UpdraftPlus and can provide you with the previous file. Does it work? Or, does it have to be a dupricator file?

Osamu

August 6, 2019 at 11:19 pm #4350793

Bruno
Supporter

Hi,

I think the best thing would be the Duplicator package. UpdraftPlus is a commercial plugin that unfortunately I can't open the backup file created without the "UpdraftPlus".

That is, even with this file I could not open it to import and test your site.

Thank you.

August 12, 2019 at 7:53 am #4378987

osamuW

Hi Bruno,

We restored the site to 2-3 weeks ago, but still the string translation was not working. I am not sure when it stopped working. I went the Support forum (https://wpml.org/forums/forum/english-support/) and searched "String translation is not working", and found that others are having the same issue. Is there any way of troubleshooting?

Osamu

August 12, 2019 at 11:53 pm #4383923

Bruno
Supporter

Hi Osamu,

It depends on what may be happening. This could be a compatibility issue, a configuration issue, or some other issue that might be happening by merging it.

One test you can do is, do a fresh install and use the same theme in this new install, using only the WPML plugins. Then translate these strings and see how it will behave.

If the strings do not translate as expected, the problem may be related to compatibility with your theme. If you are using some other plugin you need to translate, you can follow the same steps and check if the plugin will be translated correctly.

If this works in our installation, but not in your current installation, then the problem may be configuration.

Thank you.

August 13, 2019 at 10:32 pm #4391025

osamuW

Hi Bruno,

You think this can be a compatibility issue. They use Avada theme and I know that Avada works with WPML. However, there may be some compatibility issue with plugins. Do you suggest that I should deactivate plugins one by one?

Osamu

August 15, 2019 at 2:15 am #4398313

Bruno
Supporter

Hi,

Yes, that would be an option. The other option - which I should recommend more, would be to do a fresh installation in a test environment just for testing. With a minimal environment, it is easier for you to check if something is not working as expected.

If you have a lot of plugins and a lot of customization, then it takes longer to figure out if it's a compatibility issue, a configuration issue, etc.

Also, Avada is a WPML compatible theme: https://wpml.org/theme/avada/

Thank you.

August 15, 2019 at 9:57 am #4400047

osamuW

Hi Bruno,

Thanks for your tips and I like your Avada/WPML compatible theme documentation. I also use Elementor builder and Astra theme. Is there a similar WPML compatible theme document for Astra/Elementor theme?

August 17, 2019 at 1:31 am #4408595

Bruno
Supporter

Hi,

Yes, we have documentation for both the theme and the plugin:

- https://wpml.org/theme/astra/
- https://wpml.org/plugin/elementor/

Both links have other links to the documentation.

Thank you.

August 20, 2019 at 6:01 am #4420657

osamuW

Hi Bruno,

The issue got resolved, but we don't know how we fixed it. We assume that updating Avada theme to the latest version 6.0 might have fixed the issue.

Osamu

August 20, 2019 at 10:46 pm #4426783

Bruno
Supporter

Hi,

Glad to hear that it now works. Thank you for reporting this. Yes, perhaps the newer version of Avada has fixed this compatibility issue, although it has not been able to replicate this previously. Thank you for sharing this.

Please, let me know if I can help with any other questions you may have about it. I'll be happy to help.

Thank you.

August 21, 2019 at 12:10 am #4426859

osamuW

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!