This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Jean Pierre Fahed 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Laura.

Author Posts
June 26, 2019 at 2:18 pm

Jean Pierre Fahed

I updated to the latest version of WPML and suddenly all the strings translated with string translation appear in the original language. Everything in the backend seems fine but the page is not being translated.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: The logo in Spanish (as shows in test.espadadelespiritu.net)

Instead, I got: the logo in english...

June 26, 2019 at 4:30 pm
June 26, 2019 at 4:39 pm #4094135

Jean Pierre Fahed

The duplicate on your server is ready!

June 27, 2019 at 3:21 pm #4101275

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

I have some update from my side, even if I didn't found the issue exactly.
On my CW copy, everything works fine. See here: hidden link (it's normal if you don't see al the images, we remove them).

What I can suggest at this point is to deactivate/reactivate WPML (please do a backup before) and see if you can increase your MySQL version, as the minimum requirement for WPML is 5.6 and I see 5.5.5 from your debug information.

July 1, 2019 at 2:41 pm #4120377

Jean Pierre Fahed

Hi Laura,

I can't see the Spanish version in your CW copy (only the English one).

I deactivated and reactivated WPML without any luck.

Is there a way to do a hard reset on the plugin without losing all the translated strings?

July 2, 2019 at 12:00 pm #4126533

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hi,

what do you mean with "I can't see the Spanish version in your CW copy"? Doesn't it open for you?

If you Reset WPML, the content translated (post, page etc) won't be lost but they'll lost any language information so if you configured WPML again they will be registered as being in English. Strings translations instead will be deleted.

July 2, 2019 at 1:44 pm #4127495

Jean Pierre Fahed

Hi, I get this message when I try to open the page... The English opens well but not the Spanish.

Ok, so it seems like a complex operation. Luckily we have a backup in a test page. Do you think there is an alternative? Or does resetting it seem like the only way forward?

July 3, 2019 at 10:33 am #4134927

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

to see the Spanish version, you need to add the IP to your hosts file: 46.101.155.28

Since I can't reproduce the issue, I don't know what is the issue here.
Could you try a compatibility test?
- backup your site
- disable all plugin except WPML and its addons
- switch to a default theme like TwentySeventeen
- check if the issue is happening again
- if it's not, reactivate your plugins one by one, checking every time if the issue shows up again
- lastly, reactivate your theme

July 9, 2019 at 3:44 pm #4172745

Jean Pierre Fahed

Hi Laura,

Just to let you know, I was able to bring things back to normal after downgrading to the previous version of WPML.

July 10, 2019 at 11:38 am #4179539

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

I'm glad to know you found a solution even if it's not the ideal one.

What I can suggest is to create a staging site or, even better, a clean WordPress installation and see if you can reproduce the issue there, so we can debug it further. Unfortunately, we can't reproduce the issue on the copy and we can't work on your live site of course.

July 18, 2019 at 4:48 pm #4241193

Jean Pierre Fahed

Hi Laura, we have replicated the issue in our test website. We will try to update to the next update on the test site first, and if it doesn't break, we will update the live site to the new version of WPML.

I wanted to ask you if you could delete the Cloudways version of our website you have. We will no longer be using it.

Thanks for all your help!

July 20, 2019 at 7:53 am #4249333

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

yes, we usually delete the copies as soon as the relative tickets are closed or solved.

If you still can't make it work on your live site please contact us again and we'll try to debug it further.

July 22, 2019 at 1:36 pm #4258027

Jean Pierre Fahed

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!