This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shekhar Bhandari 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
April 25, 2019 at 9:35 am

Thibaut

Hello,

The website is using quite a few plugins because WPML + WooCommerce + etc. etc.

WPML String Translation is causing the admin dashboard to perform very poorly. Many screens/actions are super slow. For example, when I go to my WooCommerce products and want to duplicate a product, the result is even that the request ends with a fatal error:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 60 seconds exceeded in {WP PATH}/wp-includes/class-wp-post.php on line 235

These problem seem to disappear AS SOON AS the String Translation plugin is disabled.

I tried with disabling all other plugins, but the performance issue seems to be caused by String Translation. Also, I tried all performance improvement suggestions from the forum and your regular blog posts (regarding auto-adjust ID, registering strings, string marking, etc.).

What can I do about this?

April 25, 2019 at 1:44 pm #3682919

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'd be happy to assist you further on this issue.

Could you please try the steps as provided here in the errata and let me know if that helps?
https://wpml.org/errata/timeouts-with-woocommerce-multilingual-4-6-1/

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

April 25, 2019 at 5:20 pm #3684639

Thibaut

Hello,

Removing all "null" thumbnail IDs (and not "0" as stated in the linked post) seem to work around the timeout issue.

But still, the overall website admin performance is really bad when String Translation is enabled. So bad that I'm considering a switch to Polylang, even if it's more expensive...

April 26, 2019 at 4:59 am #3687781

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

We have some performance issues reported lately where our developers are working on it, the update will be released soon or beta will be released which will mostly fix most of this issue.

Could you please once check if disabling WooCommerce Multilingual helps to improve the performance?

Further, can you please review the following articles and see if all the relevant steps are covered?
https://wpml.org/faq/prevent-performance-issues-with-wpml/
https://wpml.org/2012/01/can-your-site-run-faster/

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

April 29, 2019 at 4:34 am #3699943

Thibaut

It's String Translation and Translation Management that seem to impact performance the most. The whole WPML ecosystem is very complicated in the end. Too complicated. Too many options.

For example, it's weird that Translation Management is required for translating a simple website with WooCommerce. Also, I don't use the String Translation part of WPML since I only rely on language files that I create myself with Poedit, but the extension is still needed for WooCommerce to work properly.

I think the whole thing should/could be simplified. Like I wrote above, I had a look at another translation system and it's so fast + straightforward + no useless options... 🙁

April 29, 2019 at 9:00 am #3701369

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

We recently released new versions of WooCommerce Multilingual plugin version 4.6.2.1 which fixes some performance issues. Being so, may I kindly ask you to update the plugin to the latest version, it would also be nice if you can check the problem with the latest version and share with us the results.

BACKUP NOTE:
+ Make a backup (both files and database) for your site before updating/proceeding anything (Always a good practice!). You can use a plugin for this if you like. I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose. See: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Regarding the use of WPML translation management + String translation, I understand that sometimes It feels just an additional plugin, but there are important features that rely on those plugins so it's required. Further, you can still use .mo/.po files while using string translation if that's the efficient way for you to translate the content.

Let me know if this helps.

Kind Regards,
Shekhar