This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bigul 3 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Bigul.

Author Posts
July 4, 2019 at 9:43 pm #4146411

philipB-7

After updating to the latest version of WPML the translation strings are no longer being pulled through in the front-end but are still present in the String Translation area of admin. None of the settings have changed. Note that it also fails to work with TwentyNineteen theme active.

The site initial language of the strings is in English and is being translated to Dutch. Dutch is the only viewable language on the site and there is no active language switcher.

Outputting the language constant ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE on the front-end displayed "nl" but outputting any of the existing strings using _e() or __() functionality results in English output whereas before the upgrade this was translated to Dutch.

The config details can be found here - hidden link (password is "fablr")

July 5, 2019 at 7:29 am #4148383

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. I will do my best to help you to resolve these issues. Please let me know the following details for tracking the problem.

1) Which version of WPML you were using before upgrading to the latest version

2) Do you have a backup before upgrading to the latest version of WPML

3) Please share with me the WordPress debug.log (not WPML debug information). Please check this page for instructions https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/

To enable it, open your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

// Disable display of errors and warnings 
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
@ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

// Use dev versions of core JS and CSS files (only needed if you are modifying these core files)
define( 'SCRIPT_DEBUG', true );

In this case, the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the */wp-content/* directory. Please do the steps to reproduce the bug and check you are getting any errors or warning related to WPML in the log file.

If you can paste your debug.log to http://pastebin.com/index.php and provide me that link it would be great! (This is the cleanest way because sometimes the logs are long and create a complete mess of discussion).

--
Thanks!

Bigul

July 5, 2019 at 4:06 pm #4152711

philipB-7

Hi Bigul,

The version we had before upgrading was WPML Multilingual CMS v4.0.8 and WPML String Translation v2.8.8. We upgraded to v4.2.7.1 and string translation version v2.10.5.1

The log can be found here - hidden link - password is "fablr"

As you can see there are no errors thrown in the log relating to string translation. As I’m sure you often hear this is pretty pressing as the site is due to launch soon. Are you able to investigate this with a high degree of urgency?

July 5, 2019 at 6:28 pm #4153395

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the details. I would like to access the admin area of your site for further checking. Please fill the private details fields after a full site backup.

Please check the following links for more details about our private information sharing policies.

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

hidden link

Please share me the screenshot of a missing string(in backend and frontend) for the easy tracking.

Also please let me know do you have a backup before upgrading to the latest version of WPML. Because may we need the backup copy for further debugging.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

July 8, 2019 at 8:19 am #4159849

philipB-7

Sorry, but giving you access to the admin area of the site would break any number of NDAs and service agreements. We'll resolve this ourselves. Thank you.

July 8, 2019 at 5:52 pm #4164801

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. Is it possible to share a backup for your site? So we can debug it further without affecting your live site. Duplicator plugin(https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/) will help us to create site backup easily and we can also deploy it simply.

Please make sure you have selected * Translate themes and plugins using WPML's String Translation only (don't load .mo files)* option for WPML>>Theme and plugins localization>>Localization options>>How to translate strings in themes and plugins.

Also please try the following troubleshooting steps after a site backup and make sure the issue is existing or not.

1) Go to WPML>>Support page

2) Click on Troubleshooting link (blue link in the middle of the page)

3) In Troubleshooting page, please click on the following options of the *Clean up* section. Wait for confirmation of processing after each one.

- Clear the cache in WPML
- Remove ghost entries from the translation tables
- Fix element_type collation
- Set language information
- Fix WPML tables collation
- Assign translation status to duplicated content
- Fix terms count
- Fix post type assignment
- Recreate ST DB cache tables

--
Thanks!

Bigul

The topic ‘[Closed] String translations broken after upgrade to latest version of WPML’ is closed to new replies.