This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Translated strings do not appear on the front end when the site default language is not English

Solution:

- Go to WPML -> Theme and Plugins Localization page. - Scroll down to the Other options section. - Uncheck the Assume that the original language of all strings is an English option.

Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/errata/string-translations-disappearing-on-sites-where-default-language-is-not-english/

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by nicoM-5 1 week, 4 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Raja Mohammed.

Author Posts
October 10, 2019 at 6:08 am #4727479

nicoM-5

I am trying to:
Use stting translations for fr and en (the source language is german). on /wp-admin/admin.php?page=wpml-string-translation%2Fmenu%2Fstring-translation.php I added both translations (en and fr) and on the French page it works as expected but on the english site it's all german.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
Let's have a look at the "Zurück zur Übersicht"-Button (top left).
Source: hidden link
Works: hidden link
Does not work: hidden link

I expected to see:
On the english page it should be "Back to Overview" as set in the string translations ("translation is complete" is checked and I saved it).

Instead, I got:
The german source string

October 10, 2019 at 9:56 am #4728969

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello there,

The issue might be related to https://wpml.org/errata/string-translations-disappearing-on-sites-where-default-language-is-not-english/

- Go to WPML -> Theme and Plugins Localization page.
- Scroll down to the Other options section.
- Uncheck the Assume that the original language of all strings is an English option.

Let me know if that helps

Kind regards
Raja

October 10, 2019 at 10:22 am #4729281

nicoM-5

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!