This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 10.68 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bobby 7 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
March 5, 2019 at 3:55 pm #3274986

readeB

I am trying to:translate the strings in the homepage layout

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see:The Welcome! is translated to Bienvenu in the string translation module

Instead, I got: Welcome

March 6, 2019 at 9:11 pm #3281295

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

How do you add the "Welcome" string within the page ? is this added from within a plugin, theme options , pure HTML , or through the page edit ?

within String Translations there is a possibility you are translating a string from a different domain, are you able to see the string's domain ? if yes please share it with me or share a screenshot of the String Translation page with me

March 7, 2019 at 7:42 pm #3286657

readeB

Here are the requested screenshots. I'm using the Extra Theme with the Divi builder. The string is on a Category Layout (with post ID of 51). Having similar results with other strings on this category layout page (used for home page).

March 8, 2019 at 1:12 am #3288188

Bobby
Supporter

Thank you for the screenshots , if possible i would like to take a closer look

**Before we proceed I recommend to please take FULL BACKUP of your database and your website.**
I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose See: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

March 11, 2019 at 6:06 pm #3315739

Bobby
Supporter

Hi There,

i see that your home page is build with a category layout using Divi, is there a specific page that you have assigned it to to become the website's static web page ?

you have translated the String Translation correctly but there are no translations available either for the layout nor for your pages therefore there is no way to view the translation in the front end.

*NOTE: category layouts are set to "not translatable " as well (screenshot), so you would need to set that to translatable and then create a translation so it is accesible in the front end.

March 11, 2019 at 7:15 pm #3316197

readeB

Thank you for your help. I have made the category layouts translatable. I have the homepage set to the category layout in the WordPress Readings settings. see attached screenshot...
will this not work?

March 12, 2019 at 1:06 am #3317285

Bobby
Supporter

Its translatable but you need to translate the layout first.

you will need to translate the HTML Welcome in the translation fields.

right now you can are displaying the front page in the other languages by falling back on the default language which essentially provides a copy of the default language page therefore the translation does not take effect that way from String translation

Please checkout the French version.

you need to go to Extra Theme-> Category Layout -> Access the default language page and switch it to "Make categories layout translatable " -> Then this will allow you to "duplicate" the layout manually through checking the Duplication boxes for each language.

after you have done that , use the language switcher at the top to change to the secondary language (click to "continue anyway" when the notice comes up ) once there just access the Welcome string and translate it through the page builder and update.

i have done this for you already with the French page hidden link

The topic ‘[Closed] String translations for Extra Theme Layout’ is closed to new replies.