Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 36 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Laura 6 hours, 38 minutes ago.

Assigned support staff: Laura.

Author Posts
November 6, 2019 at 2:54 pm #4899575

tuukkaH

I am trying to: Publish theme string translations. These are set up and saved in WP backend, we're on the latest version of all plugins, and I have run through all troubleshooting steps outlined in this thread: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/string-translation-stopped-working-4/

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: The template string "We Love Helping Retailers Succeed" should be in FR

Instead, I got: The template string in EN

November 6, 2019 at 3:16 pm #4899847

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-05:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this. How is this content created - are you using a page builder? If so, the correct way to translate would be using the WPML Translation Editor. Does this content show up if you edit the translation with the editor?

November 6, 2019 at 4:45 pm #4900409

tuukkaH

No, it's a custom theme based on Underscores that uses Toolset Types to manage custom fields, but importantly not Toolset layouts, as I did see that was highlighted in another article.

Most content is set up as custom fields and then are translated via the WPML editor (which as you can see works fine), but for some reason certain strings were added to the templates themselves, and these have just recently stopped working.

November 6, 2019 at 6:54 pm #4901085

Lauren
Supporter

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this: hidden link

November 7, 2019 at 8:01 am #4903325

tuukkaH

Hi Lauren, I'm sorry this is not something my company can share due to data privacy concerns, however as the developer for the site I can run any checks you would like me to? Please let me know the information you require for debugging.

November 7, 2019 at 2:24 pm #4906747

Lauren
Supporter

Without access to the backend, I can't really tell what needs to be checked. So, in order to proceed, I have set up a staging site here with WPML and Toolset plugins. You can upload your theme and try to reproduce the issue here so that I can then take a look.
Login: hidden link
Username: demo
Password: mT64QLN2i4bs

Please let me know the name of the field that is not working once this is set up and where to find the string so that I can further investigate. Thanks!

November 8, 2019 at 8:40 am #4911339

tuukkaH

Hi Lauren,

No problem, I've set this up here: hidden link – that string of text "We Love Helping Retailers Succeed" is translated in backend, but displays in EN.

November 8, 2019 at 3:25 pm #4914525

Lauren
Supporter

Thanks so much for setting that up for me. I found that the issue on your site was related to https://wpml.org/errata/in-some-cases-some-strings-are-not-translating-properly/. I followed the steps in that errata and you can now see the translation at hidden link

Please try this on your live site and let me know if it resolves the issue.

November 11, 2019 at 8:48 am #4922673

tuukkaH

Unfortunately not; I followed the steps outlined in that doc but the strings revert to displaying in English as soon as I uncheck the "Look for strings while pages are rendered" after I'm done, and even after flushing all caches.

November 11, 2019 at 9:32 pm #4928281

Lauren
Supporter

Did you also delete the existing string translations in your testing? Since I am not able to reproduce the issue on a clean install, and I don't have a copy of your site, are you able to test your site with minimal settings? This would mean deactivating all non WPML plugins (except for Toolset of course) and see if you are able to reproduce in those settings?

November 12, 2019 at 1:38 pm #4932093

tuukkaH

Yes, I followed those instructions to the letter, everything worked right up until I unchecked "Look for strings while pages are rendered" at which point the string, which was finally displaying the translation, reverted back to EN.

I have now followed those same steps again on our dev site, after deactivating all plugins, and I still have the same problem. hidden link

However, I can see the solution does work in the Sandbox, so am wondering: did you uncheck that box, or just let the timer expire? Am I unchecking too soon?

My other issue though, is that even if I get this particular solution working, this is affecting 100s of strings in our live backend, are you guys really telling us we are going to have to follow these steps for every affected string?

November 12, 2019 at 5:25 pm #4933813

Lauren
Supporter

I did not uncheck the box, I just let the time expire. Perhaps that is the difference? Let's try that on your dev site and see if it makes any difference.

Also, our developers are working on a resolution but for now the only available workaround is to follow the steps in the ticket. However, you can try changing the following after deleting the problematic strings from String Translation:
In wp-content/plugins/wpml-string-translation/classes/class-wpml-st-strings.php and change:

return ' AND s.string_package_id IS NULL';

to:

return '';

Be sure to create a backup of your site first. After that change, the strings should be available for translation. If they still are not, then you will need to try rendering the page where the strings exist, at least until our developers find a more permanent solution.

Please let me know the results.

November 13, 2019 at 12:43 pm #4939203

tuukkaH

I tried letting the timer expire, still not working for us. I have not edited the plugin code, as that would still necessitate deleting and re-adding all strings, which to me is not a solution at all, but a workaround, and a pretty time-consuming one at that.

Instead I have rolled back our versions of WPML plugins (core, string translations and translation management) to versions 4.2.9, 3.0.3, and 2.8.8 respectively, which is a much quicker workaround to our problem. Translations work fine again now, but we would like an ETA if possible as to when we will be able to upgrade to 4.3?

November 13, 2019 at 2:21 pm #4940019

Lauren
Supporter

Unfortunately I don't have an ETA for when a new release will resolve this issue. I have escalated this ticket to our 2nd tier and as soon as I have more information from them I will update here.

November 19, 2019 at 4:51 pm #4974471

Lauren
Supporter

Please try updating to the latest version WPML 4.3.4 and let me know if this resolves the issue for you. Thanks!