Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client was unable to find certain strings from the portfolio pages of the Hub theme in the WPML String Translation interface, even after using theme and plugin localization tools.

Solution:
1. We suggested enabling the "Look for strings while pages are rendered" option in WPML > String Translation, visiting the front end of the page where the string appears, and then searching for the string again in WPML > String Translation.

2. If the strings were still not found, we recommended checking if they were added as admin text, and provided a link to the relevant documentation:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/finding-strings-that-dont-appear-on-the-string-translation-page/

3. We requested temporary access to the client's site to investigate further and provided instructions for sharing credentials securely.

4. After deeper investigation, we discovered that the strings were part of custom Elementor widgets provided by the Hub Theme and its related plugins. We advised the client to help WPML recognize this content by writing a few lines of code, as explained in the WPML documentation:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/language-configuration-files/how-to-register-page-builder-widgets-for-translation/#registering-simple-widgets

If the solution provided here is not relevant to your case, either because it's outdated or not applicable, we highly recommend checking related known issues at https://wpml.org/known-issues/, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If you still need assistance, please open a new support ticket with us.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
January 30, 2024 at 3:49 pm #15245368

philippS-64

Hello

I am using hub theme on my site.
There are strings on portfolio pages that I am unable to find in string translations.
I have used theme and plugin localization but still they do not appear anywhere.

40951528-e3f2-415e-ad07-9e2043c84d13.png
07ccbc4d-e50c-456d-ab0a-168955789f9c.png
January 30, 2024 at 3:51 pm #15245416

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi there.

The proper way to translate strings depends a lot on how they have been implemented inside the theme/plugin.

Sometimes, there are even duplicates of the same string and only one of them is the correct one that needs to be translated.

Also, sometimes, simply removing the string (checking the box and removing it) and then re-registering it again by scanning for it (one of the methods below) and re-translating it resolves the issue.

1. Please try this:

Go to WPML > String Translation and at the bottom of the page you will find a checkbox called "Look for strings while pages are rendered". You can enable (check) that and then go in the front end to a page where you have that string showing up and then go back to WPML > String Translation and search for that string and see if it now shows up.

2. If you can't find them inside the WPML > String Translation, they might be added as admin text.

This should be the normal process to find and translate admin text strings:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/finding-strings-that-dont-appear-on-the-string-translation-page/

Please let us know how that goes.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

January 31, 2024 at 12:57 pm #15249315

philippS-64

Thanks, Apetrei!

I tried all steps but I could not find those strings anywhere.
Please let me know what further steps I need to take.

Thanks

January 31, 2024 at 11:44 pm #15252377

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi there and thank you for the update.

1. Please let me know where I can find that text (share the URL)

2. I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of the site files and database before providing us access.

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box.

The private box looks like this: hidden link

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

February 3, 2024 at 12:13 am #15261524

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi and thank you for the credentials.

I can confirm that I was able to log in successfully.

I am spending more time on this and I will get back to you as soon as I have more feedback.

I will leave the ticket assigned to myself for the moment.

Kind regards,
Mihai

February 5, 2024 at 10:58 am #15265425

philippS-64

Hi
Any update?

February 5, 2024 at 3:14 pm #15266844

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi there.

This takes longer to investigate than I initially estimated.

Also, there was a weekend so some of us, Supporters, don't work on the weekend.

Can you please let me know if these strings were manually created from custom code by you or a developer or if they came with a specific plugin or the active theme? You think they are coming with the "hub" theme or they were added separately to the site?

Please let me know.

Mihai

February 5, 2024 at 3:29 pm #15267030

philippS-64

No, these strings are not manually added.
They are coming from the hub theme and these are called portfolio meta
When you edit a portfolio item in Elementor you can see them.
Please find the attached screenshot

a755cd81-e103-4f7f-9ceb-8727db8d4657.png
February 5, 2024 at 9:40 pm #15268422

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Thank you for the update.

I will continue investigating and get back to you as soon as I have an update.

Mihai

February 6, 2024 at 11:12 pm #15274126

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi there and thank you for your amazing patience.

I'm back.

So, after some deeper investigation, it seems that there are custom Elementor widgets that are being used on the portfolio pages.

It seems that these custom widgets/blocks are coming from the Hub Theme through the Hub-related plugins that are active on the site (probably this one: "Hub Elementor Addons").

When custom elements are being added through code or through an extra plugin add-on that adds those custom widgets to Elementor (or any other page builder), we need to help WPML to see that content so we need to write a few lines in order to accomplish that (please check the video in the section below):

https://wpml.org/documentation/support/language-configuration-files/how-to-register-page-builder-widgets-for-translation/#registering-simple-widgets

I also added a screenshot from the documentation page where things are a bit better explained in regards to these custom widgets.

I hope that you will find all this information helpful.

Mihai

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 23.21.31.png
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.