This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Radu 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
February 4, 2019 at 9:10 pm #3159384

williamR-16

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I have 2 issues:
1. the French URL placetd.ca is pointing to the English version of the website and when I change the setting to DIFFERENT DOMAIN PER LANGUAGE the domain does not validate.
2. There are strings on the French website that are not appearing in the list of translations so I am unable to translate them.

Is there any documentation that you are following?
No keeping an open mind

Is there a similar example that we can see?
hidden link - View More links are not included in the string list

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

February 5, 2019 at 12:19 pm #3161811

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey William,

Let's take care of one question at a time. Please open a separate ticket for the second question (about the strings that are not getting translated). Keeping one topic on each ticket is helping future users to identify the solution way easier, without ahving to go through a lot of different responses.

Now let's get back to the problem about the domains. As I can see, for now, you're using the directories option for the URL format. Can you give me some more details about what have you tried to do so far and what's the point where the domain wasn't validate, please?

Also, can you try again to configure the languages on different domains by following all the steps from this article https://wpml.org/2016/04/use-wpml-different-domains-per-language/ ? We tried to create a tutorial about all the steps you need to take in order to set things up.

February 7, 2019 at 4:44 pm #3171497

williamR-16

Hello Radu
Thank you for your reply

Here's some more background info.

Our 2 domains are:
English: tdplace.ca
French: placetd.ca

I believe our developer created a script to push the French domain to fr.tdplace.ca as you can see in the screenshot.
But since the update to WordPress 5.0 the French URL doesn't seem to work as it did before.
I tried to update the French domain in WPML to placetd.ca and it won't validate.

The developing company is no longer in business so I cannot contact them to fix this issue so I'm trying to accomplish this on my own.

Thank you for any help you could provide

February 8, 2019 at 12:21 pm #3174993

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey William,

Can you tell me what changes you made so far, please? Basically, you need to follow all the steps from this article: https://wpml.org/2016/04/use-wpml-different-domains-per-language/ before making the change to the Dashboard → WPML → Settings → Language URL format. The domain needs to be changed first and the last step is to do the change on WPML, when the domain is ready to be used for the second language.

Telling me what steps have you took so far would help me know what you managed to do and what else do we need to do in order to set things up.

The topic ‘[Closed] Strings not getting translated and separate URL issues’ is closed to new replies.