This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 16 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Radu 3 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
June 16, 2019 at 1:57 pm

lindaM-5

I am trying to: translate strings on the wordpress dashboard. A month back Radu told me to translate the strings and save the fo.po and fo.mo file in the language folder, which I have, but still the strings aren't translating

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: I can't give you guys a public link, because this is on the backend dashboard.

I expected to see: the translations, but still they display in english

Instead, I got: no change, only english

June 17, 2019 at 10:04 am #4034273

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello!
Welcome to WPML Support.
I'll do my best to help you solve this issue.

I took a deep look at your files. i think everything's alright, though. i also checked Radu's answered to your other ticket and it was alright too.

I'll ask a developer about this, run a few more tests on my end and let you know

June 18, 2019 at 1:05 pm #4043947

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey Linda,

Alejandro is out of the office for now but I'll take care of this ticket.

Now, the part that's not translating is not working in the traditional way (with PO and MO). That's a part from the new editor and it needs to be translated differently. In this case, please send me the PO file where you made the translation and I will generate for you all the files that are needed in order to have that part of the page translated too. Things are a bit more complicated now (wp-cli needs to be used) but I'll help you with that.

Thanks,
Radu

June 18, 2019 at 7:03 pm #4046079

lindaM-5

absolutely phenomenal thanks a mil Radu 🙂 I only seem to be able to attach images here so have just placed the files on my gdrive and am sending you a download link for them. I downloaded the fo.po and mo file from wordpress.org, Will I be able to translate from wpml after you're done, just in case I missed something?

thanks in advance
Linda
hidden link

June 21, 2019 at 7:38 am #4065255

Radu
Supporter

Hey Linda,

Please download all the files that I attached here hidden link and copy them to /wp-content/langauges/ folder. Once you did this, just simply go to the dashboard area and check the elements that were not translated before.
The latest version of WordPress is translating using the PO/MO files and some JSON files too (the ones I generated for you). If you'll want to edit any translation later, you'll need to edit the PO/MO files. If the part you want to edit is from the JSON files, you'll need to generate these ones using WP-CLI like presented here https://developer.wordpress.org/block-editor/developers/internationalization/#highlighter_7263 (this is what I did to have the files I attached).

Thanks,
Radu

June 26, 2019 at 8:20 pm #4095013

lindaM-5

Hey there Radu. I've uploaded all the files you generated for me but still the strings aren't translating ...is there something I need to do with the .json files too?

June 27, 2019 at 7:23 am #4097243

Radu
Supporter

Hey Linda,

Yes, all the JSON files need to be copied right next to the fo.po and fo.mo files in the /wp-content/languages folder. Can you do this and tell me if the translation is working now, please?

Thanks,
Radu

June 28, 2019 at 6:31 am #4104777

lindaM-5

sorry for the confusion Radu. I have copied ALL files that you sent me to the language folder including the .json files. But the strings aren't translating. do I need to edit anything other than the po file?

June 28, 2019 at 7:57 am #4105293

Radu
Supporter

Hey Linda,

I just used the FTP credentials you attached on your first message to have a look at the files. Can you tell me if the folder I should check is /apps/kollafjardarbygdarsavn123/public/wp-content/languages/, please? I just want to make sure that I'm doing the changes on the right place. I checked the translation files one more time on my side and everything works fine so that's why I'm asking if I do the changes on the right place.

Thanks,
Radu

June 29, 2019 at 7:08 am #4111223

lindaM-5

Hey there Radu 🙂

Yes your absolutely correct - that is the site where the strings arent translating as they should

July 1, 2019 at 1:40 pm #4119451

Radu
Supporter

Hey Linda,

Can you create a copy of your website as explained here https://wpml.org/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/ and send it to me, please? I just want to install it on my computer and see if can find the reason why the translation files work fine for my testing website but not for yours.

Thanks,
Radu

July 2, 2019 at 6:40 am #4124335

lindaM-5

Hey there Radu 🙂

I have set up duplicator and have created a package, but I cant see how to export the site? would it be possible for you to go in and download what ever you need from the site?

July 3, 2019 at 11:38 am #4135533

Radu
Supporter

Hey Linda,

I managed to create a copy of your website on my side and investigate this. It took me a bit more than I expected. For some unknown reason, the language files weren't loading on my side too so I started by deactivating all the plugins. Finally, here's how I managed to get things back to normal:

• go to WPML → String translation;
  • search for all the strings that are not translating (on the right sidebar of the page);
  • select them and use the Delete selected strings button from the end of the list;
  • delete the String translation plugin and install it back;
  • download the archive attached here hidden link, unzip it, and copy the files to /wp-content/languages/ folder.

These are the steps that worked for me. Can you try them out and tell me how things work this time, please?

Thanks,
Radu

July 4, 2019 at 4:26 pm #4145413

lindaM-5

Hey there Radu 🙂

thank you so much, my apologies for not answering I didn't realize you had replied

so if I understand correctly - I need to uninstall the files I have actually installed already, which you sent me? then go back and uninstall the string translation plugin, reinstall it and then reupload the files - po, mo and json files? is this correct?

thanks in advance
Linda

July 5, 2019 at 8:20 am #4149001

Radu
Supporter

Hey Linda,

Yes, that's basically it. But before uninstalling and installing back the String Translation plugin, just go to Dashboard → WPML → String translation area, search for the texts that are not translating (like Status & Visibility or Publish), and delete them (just check the box at the beginning of the table row, scroll down to the bottom of the table, and hit Delete selected strings). This step is needed because, somehow, these strings were registered on your side by String tranlation and are no longer loaded from the json files.

Thanks,
Radu

The topic ‘[Closed] strings not translating in dashboard’ is closed to new replies.