Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Gerard 4 years, 8 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bernat Torras.

Author Posts
March 4, 2017 at 5:31 pm #1222418

Gerard

I am trying to:
get the page (EN) structure conveyed to the other laguages (in our case FR & DE).

URL of (my) website where problem appears:
hidden link

I expected to see:
That the same structure of the page is available on the pages bearing the different languages. In the beginning all worked well but after a while the structural connection between the pages disappeared.

Instead, I got:
as an example: wenn new elements (eg a picture) is added to HOME (EN), HOME (FR) and HOME DE) do not show this element.

Steps to duplicate the issue:
Adding a single picture (no text) on HOME (EN) and expecting it to show on HOME (FR) and HOME (DE) too. this worked well some days ago but now it works no more.

Please note:
- That the AVADA theme is used
- The setting for the 3 HOME age (EN, FR and DE) are set with the same parameters
- All plugins are up-to-date

√ We are aware that swithing off "WPML translation management" solves a problem in our Woocommerce cart. Whether this is related, we don't know.

hidden link: here you see the 5 toggle issues about at the bottom of the page
hidden link this is the same page (sante = health) but those toggle points do not appear.
hidden link this is the same page (gesunheit = health) but those toggle points do not appear.

Structural changes are made on the EN site only but the do not conveny onto the other pages (set to "translate individually" to enable the conveance of the page structure from EN to FR and DE.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-03-04 um 18.30.00.png
Bildschirmfoto 2017-03-04 um 18.30.19.png
Bildschirmfoto 2017-03-04 um 18.30.36.png
March 6, 2017 at 2:07 pm #1223341

Bernat Torras

Hi @gerard,

Thanks for contacting support, I'll do my best to help you with this! 🙂

Could you tell us where is this content coming from? Have you defined it in your page content or is it coming from your Theme Options page? If it is part of your page content, you'll need to add it to your translated pages as well. If its defined in your theme options page, please share us a screenshot of this page to let us get a better understanding about it. If everything is ok, you should be able to translate it in WPML>String Translation, but depending on the case, addition steps will be required.

So please, provide us more information about your content to make us able to help you.

Thanks,
Bernat

March 6, 2017 at 3:11 pm #1223422

Gerard

Dear Mr. Torras,

thank you very much for getting back to us. Let me answer your questions as follows:
- We have first set-up the English pages and the English products under Woocommerce WITHOUT having WPML installed. This was all done under PAGES and PRODUCTS.
- Once the English pages and product were in their final stages, WPML was installed (all up-to-date files were used).
- Then, by clicking the "+" sign on the English PAGES and PRODUCTS the translations were add. If necessary we used the button "TRANSLATE INDEPENDENTLY".
- This in our understanding and experience (it all did work) convey the structure (containers, coloured areas, pictures and the like) on a 1:1 basis to FR & DE. For a better understading: when we changed a picture on e.g. HOME EN, than the same change was done AUTOMATICALLY on HOME FR and HOME DE.
- As a consequence the pages all looked the same but, as opted for, the translations were to be done in the FR and DE pages.

We have replicated the steps for your better understanding:
1) under English we produced a new page containing 1 picture and 1 field with text (see screen shot 2 (in the order of the time of the screen shots)
2) we clicked the button "+" to produce the same page but suitable for GERMAN (see screenshot 1)
3) while on the German page we clicked "copy conetnts from English" followed by "overwrite with English content". Than a message appears: "The current content of this page will be permanently lost. WPML will copy the English content and replace the current content." That is fully understood and also correct so we click "YES".
4) we now have the GERMAN page having exactly the same structure and content (picture and text) as the English page (see screenshot 3)
5) changes made to the text are all easily done and can be stored (screen shot 4)
6) now we go back to ENGLISH, click "+" to translate the page to FRENCH. Also that works well (see screenshot 6)
7) now, as a result of the above steps we have ENGLISH as original, FR and DE as a copy of the structure but having the ability to do the translation independently.
8) when we now change the picture on the ENGLISH page, that new picture should transfer to the DE & FR pages automatically but it does not (anymore, as it did in the past). This even although the media attachmenets stetting are both on "duplicate" (screenshot 7).

The theme options page you will find here attached as screenshot 8.

We have also tried to work with and with the editor as in the shop sometimes functions are set in ENGLISH but they do not show correctly in other languages (e.g. weight, flavours).

The test text we would translate on the DE & FR pages. Lots of other translations in we do using "string tranlsation".

I am happy to give you access to the site so you can take a look at it yourself.

just let me know what is needed and I will provide it to you under under the privacy conditions of WPML.

Looking forward hearing from you soon again I remain,

awaiting your further feedback,

Gerard

Bildschirmfoto 2017-03-06 um 16.04.40.png
Bildschirmfoto 2017-03-06 um 16.01.18.png
Bildschirmfoto 2017-03-06 um 15.52.26.png
Bildschirmfoto 2017-03-06 um 15.48.52.png
Bildschirmfoto 2017-03-06 um 15.45.58.png
Bildschirmfoto 2017-03-06 um 15.40.12.png
Bildschirmfoto 2017-03-06 um 15.39.58.png
March 7, 2017 at 7:28 am #1223935

Bernat Torras

Hi Gerard,

Thanks for your detailed explanation. I think that I understand what is happening here. You have two ways to translate your pages:

- Translating them independently: When you click the '+' icon to create a translation of an existing page, you're creating a manual independent translation of it. It means that the content of the translation will not be synchronized with its original version (except for the featured images, and page settings like category assignation). If you use 'Copy contents from English' button, the page fields will be filled with the same content as in your original page, but this is just to get the same content to your fields to prevent typing it again, but it will not be syncornized wiht the original post. Its just like making a copy and paste of the original content to your page fields. When you update your original page, the translations content won't be updated with these changes (as they're independent translations).

- Duplicating them: If you chose to duplicate a page to your translations, they will be a synchronized copy of your original one. It means that the translations will be always identical as your original page. Even if you change the content of a translation, when you save the original page, its content will be synchronized again, replacing the translation content.

So basically, if you want to keep your translations with different content (translated content for example), you'll need to use independent translations and update your translations manually every time you want to include any modification (like this image you're talking about).

If you want to have the same content (you will not be able to translate it) as in your original page, use a duplicate instead for your transaltions and the content will always be synchronized to your translations (when you add the image to your original post, it will be added to your duplciated translations as well).

Hope it helps!

In case you consider that the issue remains, please let us know what is happening and we'll ask you for backend access to take a better look.

Thanks,
Bernat

translation_options.png
March 13, 2017 at 1:12 pm #1228810

Gerard

Dear Bernart,

Thank you very much fory our clear explaination.

It is a pity that the structural element of the orginal page (EN) are not copied automatically to the other languages FR & DE (in our case) when we make a change to the EN page. This would allow a by far easier handling of the website, where the focus only would have to be on the texts (translations).

Our above remark is NOT! to be read as a complaint as WMPL is a great help in getting the website profesionally translated. It is more meant to act as a suggestion for future developments.

We will now work according to the principle that elements are to be copied to the other languages manually once the initial duplication is done automatically (again, this is not a complaint).

thanks a lot for your professional support and explanations.

kindest regards,

Gerard