Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by amitt-2 2 years, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Ricardo Alday.

Author Posts
February 20, 2018 at 1:26 pm #1523611

amitt-2

Hi

I am using WPML to create Hindi version of my website - vegrecipesofindia.com.
The original website is in english language.
The WPML Hindi Website is in a Sub-directory - vegrecipesofindia.com/hi/
Since I am using Yoast SEO Sitemap, All the posts from Hindi site are coming in Sitemap and has been submitted in google search console for both WWW and NON-WWW versions.

Now my query is - Do I also need to create account for hindi version of website in "Google search console" and verify it and also submit sitemap for it.
Or just creating account for www and non www version of English website is enough in Google Search Console?

Thanks in Advance
Best Regards
Amit

February 21, 2018 at 3:45 pm #1525107

Ricardo Alday

Hi Amitt,

The only way to have a different sitemap per language is to have languages in different domains.

Since you are using directories as the language URL format so what is expected and Google validates is one sitemap in /sitemap that contains all the pages in all the languages.

Check the following documentation.
https://wpml.org/errata/yoast-seo-sitemaps-only-work-with-different-domains/
https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/using-wordpress-seo-with-wpml/#translating-sitemaps

Hope that helps,
Ricardo

February 21, 2018 at 3:52 pm #1525136

amitt-2

Hi Ricardo

Thanks for your response.
Nice to know that one sitemap is fine for multilingual sites using directories.
I hope In that case there is no need to create account for Hindi Language version of website in "Google search console" ?

Best Regards
Amit

February 21, 2018 at 4:25 pm #1525175

Ricardo Alday

A separate Google Search Console is not necessary. Google uses only the visible content of your page to determine its language. It doesn't use any code-level language information such as lang attributes. You can read more about it here: hidden link

February 21, 2018 at 4:38 pm #1525190

amitt-2

Hi Ricardo

Thanks for sharing this info and the supporting link.
Wish you a nice day

Best Regards
Amit