This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by kristenT 4 years, 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Pierre.

Author Posts
April 6, 2015 at 3:54 pm #594362

kristenT

I am trying to: use permalinks date and name feature

I visited this URL: hidden link

I expected to see:the content of the webpage

Instead, I got: a 404 error message except when I use the default permalinks feature but that sucks. Right now no error can be seen because I changed to default permalinks.

April 6, 2015 at 3:55 pm #594364

kristenT

This is what my IT guy tried but that didn't work:
1- Checked .htacess, looks good
2- Checked the 187 rewrite rules, they look good
3- If the permalink is set to the default, it works
4- If German is set as the default, the English page works, and the German page is broken (reverted)
5- Checked the "Language as a sub directory" vs "Language as a param" setting
6- Deactivated Pretty Link Lite (since it is a redirector). Still broke, Reactivated.
7- The blog posts work fine, it is just the Page that is broke.

Some of the posts dealing with 404 deal with Woo Commerce and the permalinks translation setting. Nothing seemed to be the reasoning.

I would recommend opening up a ticket with WPML with the above and then update this ticket.

April 6, 2015 at 8:32 pm #594560

Pierre
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the WPML support!

I navigated to your site but I didn't manage to find a 404 page by clicking on links (maybe because you set the permalinks to default). Could you provide a link to a 404 page? Please mention where I can find the link to this page (i.e. where it's generated).

Do have the problem on every type of content or just one type like custom post types?

Did this problem occurred when you updated WPML?

Regards,
Pierre

April 7, 2015 at 3:37 pm #595172

kristenT

Hi Pierre
Sorry I wanted to log in earlier, but it didn't let me answer this thread before.
Alright I changed it back so you can see the error:
hidden link
It's on all pages and affects all content except the homepage. You can press any other page and it gives you the 404 error. And yes I would say it happened after the last update.
Cheers,
Kristen

April 7, 2015 at 5:58 pm #595257

Pierre
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hi Kristen,

Thanks for your answer.

I found a similar issue on this thread: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/version-3-1-9-4-crashed-my-site-all-pages-now-shows-404/. The problem seems to be caused by different collation of tables in the database. Can you check this in your database?

If this doesn't help, can you activate the WordPress debug mode (https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/) and share the error logs you get?

I am waiting for your feedback.

Regards,
Pierre

April 7, 2015 at 9:51 pm #595391

kristenT

Ok first solution didn't work. The error logs are hundreds of pages long. What exactly do you need me to post Pierre?

April 8, 2015 at 2:11 pm #595852

Pierre
Supporter

Hi Kristen,

I need to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site - preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible - in order to be of better help.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Please take a full database backup previously. You can use the Duplicator plugin available on the WordPress public repository.

Regards,
Pierre

April 8, 2015 at 8:43 pm #596092

Pierre
Supporter

Hi Kristen,

I tried to find the cause of this issue but with no success yet, even if I found some strange things.

#1 The .htaccess file was empty so I added the basic WordPress rules: https://codex.wordpress.org/htaccess

#2 I updated WPM String translation to the latest version 2.1.3.

#3 I the error log, I found this:

WordPress database error Illegal mix of collations (utf8_general_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_unicode_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation '=' for query 
		SELECT ID, post_name, post_parent, post_type
		FROM wp_posts
		WHERE post_name IN ('smashing-smoke-detector')
		AND post_type IN ('page','attachment')
	 AND ( post_type NOT IN ('post','page','sidebar')

OR ID = (SELECT element_id FROM wp_icl_translations

WHERE element_id = ID

AND element_type = CONCAT('post_', post_type)

AND language_code = 'en' LIMIT 1))  made by require('wp-blog-header.php'), wp, WP->main, WP->parse_request, get_page_by_path

I changed the collation for all tables and for the database but the error remains.

I will try to get some information from my support team and I will update you on this.

Regards,
Pierre

April 9, 2015 at 4:55 pm #596789

Pierre
Supporter

Hi Kristen,

This issue has been escalated to the development team.
We'll keep you updated as soon as possible.

Regards,
Pierre

April 10, 2015 at 8:23 am #597072

Andrey
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Russian (Русский )

Timezone: Europe/Kiev (GMT+03:00)

This is Andrey here from WPML support.

Can you please check your site now ? We were able to fix the issue.

April 11, 2015 at 6:41 pm #597739

kristenT

Thanks everyone who contributed to the solution. Andrey you are a wizard, this one baffled several IT supporters.