This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 22 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by Pieter 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Ahmed Ibrahim.

Author Posts
August 23, 2019 at 3:46 pm #4448559

Neil Wilkie

Hello, we've had a client report the following error message when submitting jobs:

"This service does not support the following iso-codes: es-es,fr-fr,de-de,it-it"

We've also tried on our own demo site (using pt-pt and get the same error). Is there an update required to our service details to show that we support these languages?

Does the "default locale" field set in WordPress for each language map directly to the target-language in the attribute, or does the WPML plugin/proxy convert these?

Thanks,

Neil

August 23, 2019 at 4:01 pm #4448623

Neil Wilkie

Hello, thanks for the reply.

How is the list of languages for the service maintained? Our API should accept codes in this format and I don't see any requests to our API to look up the languages.

Thanks,

Neil

August 23, 2019 at 5:36 pm #4449221

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Can you check to make sure that the language codes are the exact same, including capitals? For example, maybe it's es_es instead of es-ES? Try changing the code to es-ES, fr-FR, etc and let me know if you are still getting that error.

August 23, 2019 at 6:39 pm #4449457

Pieter

Hi Lauren,

Pieter here, I'm chiming in, because the site Neil (of WPML's integrated Translation Service Lingo24) is talking about is also my client.

For this site we have used 4 lowercase characters divided by a hyphen for all language codes except for the default UK English which uses "en" for the language code.

Most of the languages are virtual duplicates, but 4 languages need actual translations via Lingo24. These 4 language are French, German, Italian and Spanish and use the language codes of fr-fr, de-de, it-it and es-es resp. The locales are of course as per the default en_GB for the default UK English and then fr_FR, de_DE, it_IT and es_ES.

I really don't understand the issue and Neil tells me that their system is super flexible and they can work with basically anything.

Looking forward to hearing why WPML's Translation Management is throwing this curveball.

Thanks,
Pieter

August 26, 2019 at 8:10 am #4456629

Neil Wilkie

Hello, the language codes used on the site can be accepted by the Lingo24 API.

How can we view or edit the list (and format) of codes which WPML has listed for our service?

This issue seems to be a relatively recent change in WPML as we received content with "en-US -> it-IT" codes as recently as 2019-07-22.

Thanks.

August 26, 2019 at 5:23 pm #4460493

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

I have escalated this issue so that our Translation Proxy team can look a bit deeper into the issue. Would it be possible to provide access to the site so that we can confirm codes and settings? If so,you will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this: hidden link

August 27, 2019 at 9:04 am #4464067

Neil Wilkie

Thanks Lauren, we'll wait for the response from your Translation Proxy team and if they still need access we can set you up with access to our Demo environment.

Thanks.

August 27, 2019 at 4:32 pm #4468481

Ahmed Ibrahim
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Arabic (العربية )

Timezone: Africa/Cairo (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

This is Ahmed Ibrahim from the translation proxy integration team, and I will help you with this.

Can you please go to WPML -> Languages -> Edit languages, and send me a screenshot to this page, because I want to be sure about the languages codes that you use at your site, as this will help me to add the correct mapping to your project.

Also please send me your site URL to be able to find your project at the translation proxy server.

Best regards.

August 28, 2019 at 10:07 am #4473011

Neil Wilkie

Hi Ahmed,

Thanks for stepping in, this is becoming quite urgent for us!

We replicated the error in our demo site (hidden link). Screenshot of the languages in this one attached.

Thanks!

August 28, 2019 at 10:30 am #4473353

Neil Wilkie

Hello, it's worth adding to the comment above that our service will, as standard, accept any code which has the form;
* ISO-639-1, ISO-639-2 or ISO-639-3 country code
* optionally followed by (with a - or _ as the divider) a ISO-3166 country code or UN M49 region code
* case is not important

Examples:
* en
* en-gb
* en-GB
* en_GB
* es-419

Additionally, optionally per client we can enable a mapping from any other "code" to a supported locale, e.g. "us" could be mapped to "en-US" if required.

Thanks,

Neil

August 28, 2019 at 2:28 pm #4475135

Ahmed Ibrahim
Supporter

Hi,

Thanks for the screenshot, and the clarification, but just to be sure, can you please list all your languages below, and mention the mapping for each one of them.

For example, you mentioned en -> en-gb, so can you do this for the rest of languages as this will help me to define the correct mapping that works correctly with your service.

Best regards.

August 28, 2019 at 3:38 pm #4475627

Neil Wilkie

Hi Ahmed,

Do you need a specific list of all supported locales in all possible formats, or can you use a regular expression to validate them? We can also support custom codes per client, but it sounds like that might be an issue for WPML?

To unblock this client can you please add support for the following codes:

en
fr-fr
fr-ch
de-de
it-it
es-es

If required we can generate a list of all supported languages and sent it over.

Thanks,

Neil

August 28, 2019 at 4:47 pm #4476059

Ahmed Ibrahim
Supporter

Hi,

Here you can find what is already mapped for your service related to the languages that you mentioned:

The left side contains the code that came from WPML, and the right side contains what will be sent to your service instead.

- en:en_US
- fr:fr_FR
- fr-ch:fr_CH
- de:de_DE
- it:it_IT
- es:es_ES

If I understand the pattern that you sent to me before, I should say that these language mapping should work correctly for your service without issues, right?

You have mentioned that you have moved your site to a demo server, so can you please send me the credentials in the next private reply, and I will try to send a test post to see how our Translation Proxy deal with your languages and add any missing configurations.

Best regards

August 28, 2019 at 5:23 pm #4476133

Pieter

Hi Neil and Ahmed,
Thanks for both you hard work on this ticket!
Please not that the site of the client is UK English, not US English.

Also the language codes that the client uses are 4 character language codes divided by a hyphen, except for the UK English, exactly as I wrote to Lauren a bit further up in this thread (#post-4449457 - https://wpml.org/forums/topic/support-iso-codes-for-service/#post-4449457).

language | language code | locale

UK English | en | en_GB (default language)
French | fr-fr | fr_FR
German | de-de | de_DE
Italian | it-it | it_IT
Spanish | es-es | es_ES

Hope this helps

Pieter

P.S. support for Markdown would be really helpful...

August 29, 2019 at 7:52 am #4478339

Neil Wilkie

Hi Ahmed,

Please set the codes which Pieter and I have listed as being supported by our service. If so then that should resolve our current issue.

Going forward, we don't require any specific mappings to be put in place. All the codes listed will be supported as they are. In particular, please remove the en -> en-US mapping as we will handle this per-client based on their requirements.

Creating a list of supported codes based on our Demo environment wouldn't fully represent the codes used (or which could be used) by client sites. Do you still require a list of all supported codes, or can you validate based on a pattern (or remove the validation and send all codes as they are)?

Thanks,

Neil