If you are having a notice about writing the .mo files please read this doc

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shekhar Bhandari 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
June 25, 2019 at 9:39 pm #4087311

julieM-11

Tell us what you are trying to do? Site was built using regular translation editor for Spanish because the advanced translator was not working great at that time. But now english page texts are getting updated. I want to use the advanced translation editor from now on. Also we are adding French. But don't want to lose any existing translations.

Is there any documentation that you are following? Yes but it is confusing. One doc said I would lose the translation upon changing to the advanced. The other doc said it would just switch back to the regular translator upon each use. Only new pages would allow use of the advanced translator. Neither of these options are acceptable.

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site? seeddynamics.com

June 26, 2019 at 4:23 am #4088753

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Thanks for writing in! I’m happy to help out.

As the settings page, itself says, "old translation may be unusable", I request you to follow the below steps to ensure the switch without content loss.

- Backup your site
- Open the page in classic translation editor and make sure it's 100% translated.
- Once the page is 100% translated, go to Settings->Multilingual content setup -> How to translate pages and post ->Content that was created using classic translation editor and choose switch to use advanced translation editor.

This way the content shouldn't be lossed or at least it has a very low chance of content loss.
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/advanced-translation-editor/activating-the-advanced-translation-editor/

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks