Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by davidN-51 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
June 22, 2020 at 2:37 pm #6427307

davidN-51

Hello,

After about 4 months of our site being live, I have decided I think I made a mistake with the primary language being English, and would like to switch it to German. I have tested it on our staging site and it works without issue, but the main problems if I do this are the SERPS.

Do you have any idea how best to treat all our URLs which are of course all indexed by Google? I imagine I would need to do a many many 301 redirects to the new URL's. Is this out of your area of expertise?

Secondly, I notice that with English being a secondary language, nothing has changed on the admin side (which is good). We can still create our page posts in English then do the German and French translations by hitting the small flag button. Same with WooCommerce products. Ctreating the initial products stays in English, but we then have to add the German and French translations via "WooCommerce Multilingal", even though German has been made the default language. Is that how it is suppose to work?

Thanks again

June 23, 2020 at 9:30 am #6433179

davidN-51

301 redirects would be essential here. The question is whether your system helps at all with that? Thanks

June 24, 2020 at 7:50 am #6441371

davidN-51

Hello. Can anyone help me with this and offer advise?

June 24, 2020 at 8:04 am #6441435

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey David,

I was looking at this ticket right now.

Regarding the links indexed by Google, I'm afraid that this is something we cannot control. Google has its own system of indexing but the good part is that your website will be indexed periodically and the links will change. In the meantime, you can create the redirects that you suggested, but, as you mentioned, this would be a lot of work.

As for the second question, you can definitely keep adding the content in English and then translate it to the other languages. Basically, when you create a new product for example, all you have to do it make sure that the language that is selected in the top admin bar is English. Once you created the product, you can add the German and French translations by pressing the plus icon on the right sidebar. You can give this a try and tell me how it works for you.

Thanks,
Radu

June 24, 2020 at 8:15 am #6441537

davidN-51

Hi Radu,

Thanks for your advise here.

So there is no inbuilt 301 redirect system with WPML, but do you then update the language href tags on each page? So for example I imagine our homepage mysite.eu/ has the EN language href tag as it is in English, but if we switch mysite.eu/ to German then the language href should point to the German language (and not the English or a mixture of English and German). Will your system automatically update then to the correct language hrefs for each page?

Thanks
David

June 25, 2020 at 7:10 am #6449935

Radu
Supporter

Hey David,

The hrefs for each page should be correct, even if you change the default language. Do you have any page where these tags are not set correctly? They should be changed automatically if you change the default language on your website.

Thanks,
Radu

June 26, 2020 at 8:06 am #6459475

davidN-51

Hi Radu,

Everything makes sense and it will require quite a few 301 redirects in the .htaccess file, but that should not slow down web pages so I think I am OK.

The only problem I have is with the home page redirect. Let me show you the slight issues:

Current EN home page: mysite.eu (but would redirect to mysite.eu/en/)
Current DE home page: mysite.eu/de/ (but would redirect to mysite.eu)

So if my English home page mysite.eu becomes my German home page, how do I add a redirect for this? If I redirect (mysite.eu > mysite.eu/en/) this will conflict with the redirect mysite.eu/de/ > mysite.eu) and form a continuous loop.

All other pages are OK because they have unique URLs, but the home page mysite.eu does not have a language ending for the default language.

One option is if I only redirect mysite.eu/de/ to mysite.eu, and I don't bother redirecting mysite.eu to the new English home page mysite.eu/en/ (then there is no loop and google can find the en home page on its own).

Can you try and offer me advise on this? What do you think? Thanks in advance.

June 28, 2020 at 6:53 am #6469193

Radu
Supporter

Hey David,

This is indeed a pretty complicated situation. I couldn't find any workaround for the homepage. I mean, it's simple when all you have to do is redirect a simple page that has a title and you need to add or remove the language parameter. However, for the homepage, I don't think that adding a redirect is a good idea.
What I would do is add a redirect from mysite.eu/de to mysite.eu, but leave the main mysite.eu untouched (and let the user change the language to English). This would be a temporary thing until the links from Google will be indexed again.

I tried to look over the internet to see if other users had this issue and how they managed it, but couldn't find anything helpful about this.

Thanks,
Radu

June 28, 2020 at 1:24 pm #6470113

davidN-51

Hi Radu,

Yes will try like that. Thanks for your time advising on this in any case, which was very good of you.

June 28, 2020 at 1:25 pm #6470115

davidN-51

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!