Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.6 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: When translating Posts, there are for me 3 different types of fields : - the fields copied only once and then translated, like texts - the fields copied permanently, like medias or radio choices - the fields synchronized permanently, like ACF relationship fields My problem is related to the third type of fields.

Assuming that EN is the main language and FR the secondary, I create a new Product called "New Product EN" and choose "Product EN 2" & "Product EN 3" in my relationship field.

In the Multilingual Content Setup box, choosing "Copy" or "Copy once" will associate my "New Product FR" to "Product EN 2" & "Product EN 3" and I'll see EN Product in the left column. Choosing "Translate" will not associate my "New Product FR" to any Product and I'll see FR Product in the left column. What I need is not Copy or Translate but Synchronize the translations. I'd like my "New Product FR" to be related to "Product FR 2" & "Product FR 3". And if I decide to unlink "Product EN 3" and link "Product EN 4" to "New Product EN", I'd like "Product FR 2" and link "Product FR 4" to be linked to "New Product FR".

Solution: Check if it's possible to create this relationships using links or the ID of the post/product. This way it will be easier to translate. If it's possible to use links, it will be also possible to translate it automatically using the Sticky Links plugin: https://wpml.org/account/downloads/

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Diego Pereira 1 year, 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Diego Pereira.

Author Posts
October 10, 2018 at 10:11 am #2803762

philippeN-2

Hi WPML Team,

After a first problem in which Diego Pereira and your team are still helping me (https://wpml.org/forums/topic/translating-repeater-sub-fields/#post-2796411), I have another problem using WPML and ACF.

When translating Posts, there are for me 3 different types of fields :
- the fields copied only once and then translated, like texts
- the fields copied permanently, like medias or radio choices
- the fields synchronized permanently, like ACF relationship fields
My problem is related to the third type of fields.

Assuming that EN is the main language and FR the secondary, I create a new Product called "New Product EN" and choose "Product EN 2" & "Product EN 3" in my relationship field.

In the Multilingual Content Setup box, choosing "Copy" or "Copy once" will associate my "New Product FR" to "Product EN 2" & "Product EN 3" and I'll see EN Product in the left column. Choosing "Translate" will not associate my "New Product FR" to any Product and I'll see FR Product in the left column.
What I need is not Copy or Translate but Synchronize the translations. I'd like my "New Product FR" to be related to "Product FR 2" & "Product FR 3".
And if I decide to unlink "Product EN 3" and link "Product EN 4" to "New Product EN", I'd like "Product FR 2" and link "Product FR 4" to be linked to "New Product FR".

I have created a test on a website Diego Pereira created for me : hidden link

Thank you in advance for your help.

I keep available for any extra information.

October 11, 2018 at 1:58 pm #2808534

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello @philippen-2, welcome 🙂

Do you think it's possible to create this relationships using links or the ID of the post/product? This way it will be easier to translate. If it's possible to use links, it will be also possible to translate it automatically using the Sticky Links plugin: https://wpml.org/account/downloads/

All the best,
Diego

October 11, 2018 at 2:29 pm #2808690

philippeN-2

You made my day ! \o/
Thank you so much !

October 11, 2018 at 2:30 pm #2808692

philippeN-2

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

October 11, 2018 at 2:31 pm #2808693

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hi there, I'm glad to hear that the issue is solved ?

Please contact us if you need our help in the future with WPML. We will be more than happy to help.

Cheers,
Diego