This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 0.84 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by carecweb 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Diego Pereira.

Author Posts
October 2, 2018 at 9:26 am #2780838

carecweb

Hello,

I'm confused whether I still have to update the system fields or not.

Based on your video, we do:

hidden link)

However based from support Bruno's reply: "There is usually no need to change ACF translation fields that are "hidden" (or system fields)"

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/_system-fields-with-acf-confusion/

If I do need to update them, then I think I would have to set them either as 1) Copy or 2) Copy Once. Copy Once is for repeaters when I need to initially copy the repeater data on the translation but allow us to update them if the repeater data is not present on the translated language.

Believing I needed to change them based on your video, I embarked on a tedious task to update most of custom fields and system fields in WPML->Settings. To my horror, when the page is refreshed, the custom field values were updated but ALL the system fields are "Don't Translate". This was done in Chrome. In IE updating a custom or system field hangs. So much for updating around 500 custom fields - we unfortunately have more than 1,500 fields (custom and system) to update, most of them repeater fields.

So basically I need help on two areas:

1) What is the rationale for setting system field properties? Do we really have to update them? In what cases do you have to update them to copy, copy-once, and translate?

2) As mentioned, there seems to be a bug when using WPML->Settings->Custom Field Translations. In Chrome, system fields are not being updated. In IE, it just hangs.

Also, please don't suggest updating the field settings inside the Post itself. Our editors and encoders (author role) cannot see the field properties inside posts, while admins (such as I) are not involved in uploading/updating data.

Thanks

Aldwin

October 2, 2018 at 7:07 pm #2782555

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello @carecweb, welcome back 🙂

My recommendation is to follow what is described in the video (translate the system fields and also the normal fields). But if the post (and the translation) is working normally without the system field modified, do not worry about it.

The copy option should copy the value of the field to the translation and lock it. The copy-once will copy the value, but will allow it to modify it. But please note that it's only possible to modify it using the Manual Editor. If copy-once is set, the value will not be displayed on the Translation Editor. The only fields that will be displayed are the fields set as "translatable".

You can see more details on how each option works here: https://wpml.org/documentation/support/language-configuration-files/#custom-fields

If you modify a field setting, you will need to do a small modification on the content of the post on original language and save. it will refresh the fields on the translation.

Another option is to assign a "Editor role" to a translator. This way will be possible to edit the post using the Manual Editor.

If you need more help just let me know.

All the best,
Diego

October 9, 2018 at 4:34 am #2798231

carecweb

"But if the post (and the translation) is working normally without the system field modified, do not worry about it."

So what's the official WPML stance in this, should we or shouldn't we update these system fields? 🙂

Thanks also for pointing out the configuration file as this is new to me. I have been testing it and this should be the solution to tracking and updating hundreds of our custom field settings in bulk, versus clicking them one by one in WPML->settings.

Concerning the system fields not updating, YES THIS IS A BUG. I have confirmed this when I checked the options table (where you save the settings outside of the config file). Custom fields configured in WPML->settings are being saved while system fields are not. Please open a bug report on this.

Fortunately the config file updates the system fields. Question is (and back to my original question), should we really configure each and every system field? If you can confirm that they don't need to be configured at all, then it will save us about half our time on field settings.

Thanks again Diego

October 9, 2018 at 8:06 pm #2801914

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hi there,

The official stance is what is available on our documentation. In the WPML + ACF documentation, it says nothing about system fields: https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf

In the video tutorial, it asks you to set the system fields to "Copy", but this setting is recommended for therepeater fields. So my recomendation is:
- Don't modify the system fields on normal fields (as suggested by Bruno)
- Apply the "Copy" option to the system repeater fields

I also recommend that you configure only a few fields at a time and check if the setting is working correctly in translations. Sometimes these settings are influenced by other aspects of the website (like other plugins and server settings).

For the configuration file, you can also add your custom XML code to WPML > Settings > Custom XML Configuration. This can save some time.

For the custom fields settings not saving, I have checked on a clean install and it's working normally. SO this can be related to some server settings (usually this kind of issue is related to a low max_input_vars value).

Regards,
Diego

October 10, 2018 at 2:34 pm #2804836

carecweb

Hello Diego,

I'll follow your recommendation on the system fields.

For system fields not saving, yes you're right! It is max_input_vars. I increased it and the system fields are now saving. Who would have thought an input form will have more than a thousand fields (which is max_input_var default)? haha

Though what flunked me was the message "Data saved" when saving the setting. A "hey your max_input_vars is too low" error would have been nice. Oh well....

Anyway, thanks a lot Diego!

October 10, 2018 at 2:46 pm #2804877

carecweb

To WPML. Please improve your documentation and make it more comprehensive, with details, illustrations, and videos. One-pagers on individual ACF features, plugins, and functionality are not enough and barely scratch the surface. Please include case studies, tips to debug, and more sample codes. Also more information on how WPML interacts with and overrides WP (API, hooks, database). Thanks