This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno 1 year, 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
September 13, 2018 at 9:02 am #2730671

sebastienR-14

Hi,

I noticed that the website performance decreased dramatically recently. After investigation I found out that the table wp_icl_string_pages suddenly increased in size from 100 000 lines to over 1.6 million lines Enven though we haven't added much content to the website.
I replaced the table with an older version and the performance became acceptable again.
How can I prevent that table size to get out of hand ? How can I clean up the table and remove unnecessary entries ?

Thanks

September 15, 2018 at 7:07 pm #2738011

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us. Please, my sincere apologies for the delay in answering.

This table you are highlighting in your picture should not exist. The correct table is just "wp_icl_string_pages" (without the "_bak"). You may be able to remove this table after making a full backup of your database. This should not have any impact.

About clearing the "wp_icl_string_pages" table, you can follow the steps below:

- Click on the WPML > Support > Troubleshooting
- Click on the "Recreate ST DB cache tables" button

Note that it is not recommended to clear this cache because WPML stores which strings exist inside the specific page to improve performance.

Please, let me know if I can help with any other questions you may have. I'll be happy to help.

Thank you.

September 17, 2018 at 9:34 am #2740420

sebastienR-14

Hi, Thank you for your reply.

The "_bak" table is a backup I made before uploading a trimmed down version of the same table from 3 weeks ago.
The smaller version of the table contained about 100 000 entries when I uploaded it a few days ago. It's now back to over 1 million entries and is significantly slowing the website down again.

How can I prevent the size of this cache to get out of hand ?

As I said in my previous post, the content on this website hasn't increased much and there's no reason why this table size should be multiplied by 15 in just a few days. Performance is getting a big issue now for my customer, I'd appreciate if you could help me find a long term solution to this issue.

Thanks

September 17, 2018 at 10:56 pm #2742751

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hi,

Thank you for the explanation. This should not happen. I noticed you are using the WPML version 4.0.4.

Please, could you update all your WPML plugins and its add-ons? Remember to backup before updating your plugins.

After updating the plugins, again, clear the table by following the steps I posted above and see if the problem persists.

If the problem persists, we will need to check what may be happening, as long as this is not expected behavior. Please, could you create a backup of your site using the Duplicator plugin and send us so that we can test in our testing environment? You can upload the file to some server like Google Drive or Dropbox and send us the link. Your next answer will be private.

Thank you.

The topic ‘[Closed] Table wp_icl_string_pages is getting to big and impacting site performance’ is closed to new replies.