This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: The tax rate changes on Checkout page AFTER I switch the country in the address field. How can I make the tax rate change when the language is changed?

Solution: The taxes are calculated in WooCommerce by the country that you select, and this is why the tax is not automatically changed when selecting a language. Customers are able to purchase products in which ever language they choose, regardless of which country they are purchasing from. Unfortunately, there is not a setting in WPML that will automatically change the tax rate based on the language.

0% of people find this useful.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by emelieC 1 year, 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
July 16, 2018 at 3:08 am #2527367

milanK-6

Tell us what you are trying to do? I want to purchase goods as a German customer at 10% tax rate. However the tax rate doesn't change based on the selected language dynamically. The tax rate changes on Checkout page AFTER I switch the country in the address field. This is quite late in the process for the customers. How can I achieve that the rate changes much earlier - in the Basket page please?

Is there any documentation that you are following? WPML documentation

Is there a similar example that we can see? try any other language but English

What is the link to your site? hidden link

July 16, 2018 at 9:45 pm #2528814

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. The taxes are calculated in WooCommerce by the country that you select, and this is why the tax is not automatically changed when selecting a language. Customers are able to purchase products in which ever language they choose, regardless of which country they are purchasing from. Unfortunately, there is not a setting in WPML that will automatically change the tax rate based on the language.

July 20, 2018 at 4:10 am #2536241

milanK-6

September 6, 2018 at 9:10 am #2710097

stefanM-7

Is there any way to do that? I have 2 diffrent shops .so.uk -> English with UK taxes) and other tax rates as when you open up .de Domain (DE taxes should apply).

Is there a hook where we can set the country? In the checkout, I limit the country and then its autoset. But not if a person comes to the page... it will take the first Tax in the list.

September 6, 2018 at 9:11 am #2710098

stefanM-7

Perhaps there is a hook which sets the currency based on the language... I cant find the hook for that, otherwise I could program it myself.

July 2, 2019 at 3:29 pm #4128437

emelieC

Why can you not create this feature?

It is most intuitive that you can have different taxes for different languages.

Also, you provide a way to make languages into regions by customizing languages. In that case it very much makes sense, as you would want to charge 0 tax for exports.

Currently, there is no good option for showing taxfree prices for international customers, so exports tend to look more expensive than they are for shops in countries where taxes are high.

Please, please, make my life just a little bit easier! 😉

July 2, 2019 at 3:31 pm #4128473

emelieC

I found this but I have not got it to work yet:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/how-to-disable-vat-tax-calculations-for-specific-languages-not-countries/

function filter_woocommerce_calc_tax( $taxes, $price, $rates, $price_includes_tax, $suppress_rounding )
{
    global $sitepress;
    if(!is_admin() && $sitepress->get_current_language()=="nb"){
        $taxes = array( 1 => "float(0.000)" );
    }
    return $taxes;
};
// add the filter
add_filter( 'woocommerce_calc_tax', 'filter_woocommerce_calc_tax', 10, 5 );

Any ideas?