This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shekhar Bhandari 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
September 28, 2018 at 12:39 pm

markB-53

Hi WPML Team,

I’ve spotted something quite weird on my website that is using WPML.

Our urls works like this :

hidden link -> This is the default UK version
hidden link -> This is an additional language (here is the US website)

On taxonomies pages, here is how it works :

hidden link -> For UK default site
hidden link -> For the US site

Few days ago, I’ve spotted that if I remove the “/us/“ in the US site URL, the page will load in default language instead of displaying the 404 page, even if the slug of the taxonomy is the one used for the US site.

For example :

hidden link -> US site + US Content
hidden link -> Default UK site + Default UK Content

The second URL should be a 404?

--

I’ve tried the same test on page/post Urls and I get a 404 when I remove the /us/ and keep the slug of the US site.

This behaviour looks weird, and I just wanted to know if everything is normal and if this behaviour will not create 404 errors and/or duplicate content?

Thanks,

October 1, 2018 at 5:39 am #2777161

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'd be happy to assist you further on this issue.

The issue you mentioned is already escalated to our developers and they are currently looking into it. I will keep you posted of any updates/reports over the issue regularly.

Thanks

March 22, 2019 at 10:55 am #3439535

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

We recently released new versions of WPML plugins with fixes and improvements so could you please update the plugin to the latest version and let me know if this helps?

NOTE:

+ Make a backup (both files and database) for your site before updating/proceeding anything (Always a good practice!). You can use a plugin for this if you like. I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose. See: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/