This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Yvette 12 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
October 12, 2018 at 5:18 pm #2812794

ELAN42///

Hello,
I need to duplicate the taxonomies of all the posts belonging to a certain custom post type to the translated versions. That means that, for the time being, I don't need to actually translate the categories/tags, but just have them in the translated posts.

Up to now, after reading previous topics, I have used:

- WPML > Translation management > Multilingual Content Setup > Taxonomies Translation > "Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language"

- WPML > Support > Troubleshooting > Synchronize the taxonomies

But I still do not see the taxonomies in the custom posts. I also tried to manually update the posts, to understand if wp_update_post() would make a difference. Can you help me?

October 15, 2018 at 2:14 pm #2817928

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

I will be helping you.

Hmmm - I think this is because the "appear as translated" setting for the taxnomy, will affect the terms in that taxonomy only. It will allow you to see terms that are not translated and works well with listings if related post types are also marked to the same setting.

However, if you have a translated post, you will need to translate the taxonomy for it to appear.

I could give you a more clear answer if I had an example to work off of. Is this possible in your site?

I am opening the private area so that I can have access to your system if it´s ok with you. I only need wp-admin access.

Thanks

October 15, 2018 at 3:41 pm #2818149

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

I think I understand what you are trying to use the "appear as translated" setting for but this will not make any kind of real assignments. It is mostly apparent when you have a taxonomy archive page or taxonomy widget that is selecting products based on taxonomies.

I also see that this setting has some issues when it is part of a hierarchy and either the parent or the child is translated but the corresponding child/parent is not.

I see that the real issue is how to duplicate your taxonomies quickly. We do not have a tool to do this yet but I have seen some client do the following steps:

1. Make sure you have the following setting checked:
WPML -> Impostazioni -> Sincronizzazione delle pagine e degli articoli-> Copia tassonomia nelle traduzioni

2. Create test post
3. add all the taxonomy to it that needs duplication
4. Use WPML to create a duplication of that post. This will also create the duplciation of the taxonomies.
5. After you have duplicated your taxonomies, you can then use the Taxonomy Translation tool to synchronise the hierarchies.
6. FInally go to WPML -> Support -> Troubleshooting -> Cleanup and choose the first tool for the post type "Publications" (see image) to syncronise the post type assignments.

Will this meet you need to create taxonomy duplication?

The topic ‘[Closed] Taxonomies not duplicated’ is closed to new replies.