Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 6.60 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by peterA-35 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
July 9, 2019 at 10:21 am #4169627

peterA-35

I am trying to translate taxonomies
I have set taxonomies to translatable in settings
When I try to translate a category then the original language box is ok
When I use the arrow button the original language appears in the target language box briefly then disappears.

I have to say I have been trying to raise this ticket for about two hours, your process compared to other plugin support is tortuous

July 9, 2019 at 1:53 pm #4171413

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+01:00)

Hi

1. Technical Information on you environment
Could you please provide information about your environment by following thsese steps: http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

2. Diagnostic
If you temporarily deactivate you on-WPML plugins and change your activet theme to Twenty Nineteen, do you get the same behaviour?

If you are able to complete the translation in this setup, then please first change your active theme back to your normal theme and test again. Then keep trying while reactivating your plugins one-by-one until you find the plugin that is conflicting with WPML.

3. Temporary Access to your system
Please provide access to your system (wp-admin and ftp) so that I can further investigate this particular problem. The fields to provide this data are included in a private section that I will open for your next response. You can find it above the comments area. The information in this private section is only visible between WPML Support and you.

July 12, 2019 at 7:38 am #4195987

peterA-35

Yvette, My apologies for not responding sooner, my internet access has been out for a couple of days due to forest fires around us. I will pick up this thread and respond to you in a couple of hours.
Many Thanks

July 12, 2019 at 7:56 am #4196097

Yvette
Supporter

Oh - sorry to hear about the fires! I hope you are ok.

I am opening the private area again for you to provide system access details.
Thanks

July 15, 2019 at 7:05 am #4207599

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

Thank you for the system access. Would you please detail the steps I should be taking to see the error you describe?

Is it one taxonomy in particular or all of them?

I tested the following steps in your system but was unable to see anything abnormal:
- WPML > Taxonomy Translation
- Select Category
- Select a term to translate
- Use the COPY icon to copy values to target language

At this point, the label copies over and does not disappear.

Thanks for the clarifications

July 16, 2019 at 8:11 am #4217527

peterA-35

Yes the copy across is now working fine but it does not translate even though I think I have the translate options set up correctly in settings for taxonomy translation?

July 16, 2019 at 11:10 am #4219527

Yvette
Supporter

For this, I would need to see a concrete example. Do you have steps you can share for a sample case of the behaviour you describe now?

July 17, 2019 at 8:56 am #4227893

peterA-35

Go into Taxonomy Translation
In the dropdown choose the third item 'categories'
On item 'Apartments' click on the +
Click on the top arrow of three
Name in Translation to Turkish Box is copied but not translated into Turkish
Slug has -tr added which is probably ok

July 17, 2019 at 9:45 am #4228341

Yvette
Supporter

This is normal behaviour. If you hover over the icon, you will see that the intended action indeed is to "copy" the value from the original source box to the translated box,

In general, there is no automated translation feature apart from what can be translated with the Advanced Translation Editor (ATE)

If you are looking for a way to use the ATE to translate taxonomies, you would have to create a post and assign all taxonomies you wish to translate to it. Then, when you translate the post with the ATE, the editor will pull in the various taxonomies and you sbould then be able to get the ATE to do the machine translation for you.

Otherwise, the Taxonomy Tranlsation tool will expect *you* to provide the translation.

Does this answer clarify the behaviour you are seeing?

July 17, 2019 at 10:01 am #4228415

peterA-35

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

July 18, 2019 at 7:21 am #4235617

peterA-35

Still not working, tried entering the translation manually and it disappears. Also I am getting messages from my hosting provider that my site is crashing due to a WPML error.