This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by ilcheG 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
August 26, 2019 at 10:23 am #4457581

ilcheG

I am trying to: Translate a page

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

I expected to see: Visual editor with text prefilled in

Instead, I got: No visual editor at all or sometimes visual editor without text

Looking at the console, there is a javascript error related to the NextGEN gallery. When I disable the NextGEN Gallery plugin, everything loads well without errors. So, it seems there is a compatibility issue.

Multisite: No
jQueryVersion: 1.12.4-wp
PHPVersion: 7.2.20
MySQLVersion: 5.6.45
ServerSoftware: Apache
PHP MemoryLimit: 256M
WP Memory Limit: 128M
wpml.org Version: 4.2.7.1
NextGEN Gallery Version: 3.2.10

August 26, 2019 at 11:05 am #4457871

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

hidden link
Username: demo
Password: WUpX98I11ziz

I installed WPML and NextGEN Gallery there.

Can you please do the following?
- Configure WPML wizard to have the same languages it is on your site
- try to replicate the issue

We don't need any other content at this point - we are trying to determine in a minimal environment whether this issue will appear as well, as that will help us to narrow down what is going on on your site and possibly exclude a compatibility issue.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

August 26, 2019 at 11:38 am #4458053

ilcheG

Hi Bruno,

Thanks for your help.

I configured WMPL, but I had to install TinyMCE Advanced since the error in the console (see the screenshot from my first message) is related to this plugin. So, I created a Test post, however, I am not able to replicate the issue since everything loads just fine. It can be that other plugins interfere. I cannot disable other plugins at this moment without disrupting the user experience. I do not access to the testing site at this moment. Any ideas? 🙂

Best,
Ilche

August 26, 2019 at 11:52 am #4458153

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

We do have an option to create staging websites - would you be interested in this? It is on our amazon Cloudways infrastructure at no charge :). You would only need to install one plugin and perform a migration.

Let me know if this would work for you and I will set it all up.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

August 26, 2019 at 12:01 pm #4458217

ilcheG

Hi Bruno,

I managed to replicate the issue (I had to add a gallery to the post). Under Posts, there is a Post titled Test. Click on the gears and observe the editor.

Best,
Ilche

August 26, 2019 at 12:24 pm #4458395

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I can see the issue, so no need to move anything to staging.

This has been escalated to our Compatibility team and may take some debugging time, I'll get back to you as soon as I have any news or questions for you.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

August 27, 2019 at 6:56 am #4463125

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Can you tell me how exactly were you adding these galleries? 🙂

Because we are having trouble reproducing this now - have a look at here:
hidden link

(post "test 3)

Regards,
Bruno Kos

August 27, 2019 at 9:01 am #4464013

ilcheG

Hi Bruno,

I added the gallery using the green button for the NextGen gallery in the editor menu.

Also, I opened the link you provided and everything was loaded fine. However, I went back to the list of posts and clicked again on test 3 and the issue was there. This was using Firefox. I logged in via Opera and used your link and the issue was already there. Attached are screenshots.

Cheers,
Ilche

August 27, 2019 at 9:13 am #4464139

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I just recorded a screencast:
hidden link

So this is not what you are seeing at the moment? I'm using Google Chrome for this.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

August 27, 2019 at 9:40 am #4464459

ilcheG

I see that and I can confirm that opening the post multiple times shows the same behaviour, that is, the editor is properly loaded and the text is there. At this moment, I cannot reproduce the views from my previous screenshots. However, try switching between the Visual and Text tabs several times and you will notice that the editor does not load properly, that is, the part from the Text tab gets stuck to the Visual tab. If you go to my post (Test) and try switching between tabs, you will notice that everything loads fine even after switching. So, every time I test this, I discover a new issue, which gives me an impression that something is really messed up with the editor.

August 27, 2019 at 10:28 am #4465183

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I think I was able to find a way, just as you described it:

try switching between tabs

This one triggers that message, but I'm not sure if I see translation editor not working. However, I sent this information to compatibility team for further checks.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

August 28, 2019 at 7:11 am #4471525

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Our team has investigated this thoroughly and since shortcodes need to go into shortcodes blocks, while we are unable to see this once the translation starts and basically in order to see that console log message, we need to "force" it, there is nothing we can do related to the issue at this point.

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist with!

Regards,
Bruno Kos

August 28, 2019 at 10:05 am #4472997

ilcheG

Thanks for the assistance.

Since the issue is not resolved, what is the recommendation? How we are supposed to translate posts? Is there a workaround? One way I can think of is to publish the translation post and then edit it as an ordinary post in the translation language. The downside of this is that the post is public (since the original post is published and public) while not being ready to be published.

Best,
Ilche

August 28, 2019 at 12:02 pm #4474065

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

What comes to my mind is the following
- change the language while on the original post, click "Edit anyway" once it shows up and then enter translations
- remove the Gallery and try redelivering the translation through TE (this is due the fact that we weren't able to emulate this behavior in clean installation)

Regards,
Bruno Kos

September 2, 2019 at 7:31 am #4494971

ilcheG

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!