This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
September 6, 2019 at 3:31 pm

florianV-6

We use Divi theme and run a slider plugin called SliderPro. Within the slider we can create images, and sliders, and add text to them. The sliders are implemented in our Divi pages with shortcodes.

First problem: WPML doesn’t recognize the text written within the sliders like the following:
(see 1.jpg)

Question: is there a way for WPML to recognize the slider text, so that we can translate it?!

A way around the issue is to duplicate the original slider with the original (German) language text within SliderPro and change the text in the duplicated slider into English. The duplicated slider would have a different shortcode than the original slider. Within the translated Divi page one would have to replace the original short code with the second shortcode, the result looks like this: (see 2.jpg)

But there is a second problem: each time the translated text is changed on the Divi page, and if it is only a minute change like one letter, the shortcode of the English text slider is overwritten with the shortcode of the original, German text slider, and the translation is lost.

Question: is there a way to use different shortcodes in the original Divi page and in the duplicated, translated Divi page without incurring the risk that the second shortcode is being overwritten with the first shortcode as soon as we do a change or update within the text of the second, translated Divi page?!

September 9, 2019 at 8:22 am #4534535

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

I checked your website and the plugins. From what I see, Slider Pro does not store data as custom post, so this is probably why WPML is unable to translate it. I do not see any way on how to translate this, while I also wasn't able to find anything in our archives that might potentially help us.

https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/?wpv_view_count=119945&dev=0&wpv-plugin-functionality=0&wpv_post_search=Slider+Pro&wpv_filter_submit=Search

Also, the plugin is not in our list of compatible plugins.

As for your question related to this:

But there is a second problem: each time the translated text is changed on the Divi page, and if it is only a minute change like one letter, the shortcode of the English text slider is overwritten with the shortcode of the original, German text slider, and the translation is lost.

This is most likely related to that translation being a duplicate in fact, and not independent translation. See here about the difference and how to translate the page yourself:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/using-content-duplication/#convert-between-translation-and-duplicate

Regards,
Bruno Kos

September 11, 2019 at 2:16 pm #4554023

florianV-6

Hi Bruno,

as to your answer to the second problem: the overwrite of the shortcode is not only a problem on the frontpage, which is a duplicate, but also on the following page, which is not a duplicate (see images): - in fact, the example of the overwritten shortcode, which I emailed you initially, comes from this page. In other words, the problem persists independently of whether it is a duplicate or an independent translation!

September 12, 2019 at 6:41 am #4558621

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

hidden link

Can you tell me if you see this shortcode here? I checked the content but I'm not sure I'm seeing it, so maybe it is not connected with translation editor at all, thereby being copied somehow.

In which element are you adding it, can you show me on a screenshot?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

September 12, 2019 at 3:44 pm #4562567

florianV-6

Hi Bruno

no the shortcode cannot be found there; you have to go to the backend of the page and scroll down to the Divi Builder to find the code: (see image 3)

To change the shortcode, one has to switch between the German and the English page: (see image 4)

September 13, 2019 at 6:32 am #4565849

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Can you try now?

I registered the Code shortcode using the following XML configuration:

<shortcode>
            <tag>et_pb_code</tag>
            <attributes>
                <attribute>background_image</attribute>
                <attribute>background_video_mp4</attribute>
                <attribute>background_video_webm</attribute>
            </attributes>
        </shortcode>

After this, I made a slight change on the original page and updated, so that translation editor accepts new changes. I can see that it is available within translation that there now. Can you try changing the original and translating it here, to see if it will still get updated/overwritten?

Also, as for changing dashboard language, you should not be doing this because you will break the connection between translation editor and manual translation. Please check this for an explanation:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/how-wpml-keeps-track-of-your-translations/

Regards,
Bruno Kos

September 13, 2019 at 1:49 pm #4569013

florianV-6

Hi Bruno,

yes this solution works, but for unknown reason some (not all) of my English string translations have been erased like here (yellow highlights): - it is not a big issue, but just wondering how this can happen (see image 5.jpg and 6.jpg).

It should look like in the 7.jpg image.

Also in the menu English text has been overwritten, but only for the first menu point – I already changed it back, but strange enough that this can happen for no good reason, see image 8.jpg and 9.jpg

And I just tried to change the shortcode in the translation editor in other pages, but as far as I can see, you have only allowed for this additional functionality in the translation editor of the “verkaufen”/”for-sellers”-page. Is this correct?! Can you make the shortcodes visible in the translation editor in all other pages of the website as well!?

Many thanks for your help & support.

September 16, 2019 at 5:42 am #4576383

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

yes this solution works, but for unknown reason some (not all) of my English string translations have been erased like here (yellow highlights): - it is not a big issue, but just wondering how this can happen (see image 5.jpg and 6.jpg).

It it's possible due to this:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/how-wpml-keeps-track-of-your-translations/

So there may have happened a mixup due to changing translation editors, which then breaks connection between translation and the original.

As for the shortcode on the other pages, can you try doing the following:
- Create another page builder element, such as text or code, click update and then go to translation ( but not by changing flag, by using translation editor instead)
- this is exactly what I did in order to show the make the shortcode visible on the page we worked on

Regards,
Bruno Kos