This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.35 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Radu 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
May 15, 2019 at 8:21 pm #3820073

miaS-3

I am trying to:

The comments to the articles have disappeared after my polylang update to WPML. How can I recover them?

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

I expected to see:

Instead, I got:

May 16, 2019 at 3:41 am #3821525

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey Mia,

Are these comments missing only from the front-end or are they not appearing on the back-end either? Can you try to deactivate all the plugins except for the WPML ones, activate a default theme (like Twenty Nineteen), and tell me if anything changes, please? Last but not least, are the comments coming back if you activate the Polylang plugin. All these questions will help me understand what's going on and what's the part that might be causing this issue.

Thanks,
Radu

May 19, 2019 at 8:27 pm #3842499

miaS-3

Hi Radu,

thanks for your help.

I followed your instructions and the problem still persisted. In fact, some strange things happened:

1) When I deactivated all plug-ins except for WPML related ones and changed the theme, the language switch on the site disappeared, so I actually had to type in the language to get to related posts.

2) The posts still didn't show the comments.

3) Comments are still visible in the back end, as was the case before.

Do you have any clue what might be causing this problem?

Cheers,
Mia

May 21, 2019 at 7:40 am #3852731

Radu
Supporter

Hey Mia,

Could you give me access to the dashboard so I can have a closer look at this, please? I set the next reply to be private so you can safely send me the credentials. I'll just have a look at the comments and try to figure it out why is this happening.

Thanks,
Radu

May 26, 2019 at 5:22 pm #3892151

miaS-3

Hi Radu thanks for your message. I'm on a business trip now and don't have my laptop with me but will get back to you with the access on Wednesday. I sent the access to a different supporter, maybe you can also view them and use the same information?

Best
Mia

May 27, 2019 at 11:52 am #3896817

Radu
Supporter

Hey Mia,

No worries. Enjoy your trip and give me a message back once you're back to the laptop.

In the meantime, I checked the comments area (hidden link) and I could see that there's only one comment for the Street Card post but once I try to access it (hidden link) I get a 500 error.

Also, have you followed the process of migrating from Polylang to WPML? You can find it right here https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/migrate-polylang-wpml/. if you didn't do this yet, please give it a try and tell me if the comments are working now. Before trying this, please create a backup of your website. If something goes wrong, you can go back to the working state of the website in no time.

Thanks,
Radu

May 30, 2019 at 9:37 pm #3926297

miaS-3

Hi Radu,

thanks for your help.

I contacted the server host to get the 500 error fixed and it worked perfectly this afternoon. Now, I ran the migration and the error is showing again. Also, I got this information - perhaps this is the reason why the sites aren't displaying? I'd like to send you a screenshot but would prefer to send them in private. Can you enable this option?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Mia

June 3, 2019 at 12:44 pm #3942361

Radu
Supporter

Hey Mia,

I hope you had a great time during your trip.

I set the next reply to be private so you can safely send me the screenshot. Regarding the error, have you tried to ask the hosting provider what was the fix for it? Or maybe what caused it in the first place? It's pretty strange that it appears again only after you run the migration. There needs to be something that can be done different to make it never show again.

Thanks,
Radu

The topic ‘[Closed] The comments to the articles have disappeared. How can I recover them?’ is closed to new replies.