This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bobby 9 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
January 14, 2019 at 11:31 pm #3089985

florianH-22

I am trying to: set all acf fields to 'translate' in the WPML configuration page

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: WP Backend -> WPML -> Settings

I expected to see: the setting should be saved

Instead, I got: it keeps the same value (some fields are translatable, some are not. We have hundreds of fields, maybe there is some kind of limit?

January 14, 2019 at 11:49 pm #3090037

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

when you select the option to "translate" within the Settings page, after you save and update it goes back to the old option correct ?

right click and inspect the page then view your console , let me know if there are any errors logged within the console please

January 15, 2019 at 9:01 am #3091478

florianH-22

When i change the settings i see no errors, but the ajax response of the request being done is simply 1.

Is that the supposedly correct response?

I tried to activate all the debug settings, but i didn't get any error messages when saving the setting.

I also tried to just change one, all, a few, and the result seems to be random.

Currently about 60% of the fields are set to translate (we have ~800) but at some seemingly random point in my tests (couldn't reproduce it consistently) ALL fields were RESET to 'no translate'. Then after trying to set all of them to translate again it went back to the 60%.
(obviously with reloading and cache cleaning between tests and result checking)

The whole page seems to be broken now, so even in our main language german we have some articles that are english, the whole thing looks very bad! It almost looks as if the original language was overwritten by the translated one...

We have not activated group translation but translated the pages by creating a copy of the original page and then changing the content.
We use ACF field groups heavily.
Any idea why this is broken?

Now one translated page is not even recognizing the acf groups and just prints them as posts hidden link even though it should look like this hidden link (there you can also see the problem where the translation of one article overwrote the original language)

This is quite urgent for us as we were are live now and just wanted to activate the translations, which then broke the page. (and yes, we should have had a test system, but the client didn't want one....)

Thanks in advance for your help!

January 15, 2019 at 11:36 am #3092543

florianH-22

ONE PROBLEM SOLVED:
Hi, so, after replicating the page on another server we finally saw that, even though the WPML ajax didn't give any error message, there was actually an error because the default php setting max_input_vars = 1000 was not enough and because of that the saving of the translation setting failed (i don't understand why it failed when we just tried to change one single entry when there were only 20 entries shown, but well).

HOW TO REPLICATE THE ORIGINAL PROBLEM:
To replicate this install WPML + ACFML + ACF and create ~800 custom field entries (we used a lot of acf_group fields, not sure if that matters), creating one entry and duplicating should be enough i guess, and make sure the php.ini has the default max_input_vars = 1000 setting.

Now when you try to change the field translation settings you should see the problem occuring (and on our live server there were no php errors thrown, so some internal WPML check would be needed if the storing of the information fails)

NECESSARY IMPROVEMENT TO PREVENT IT FROM HAPPENING TO OTHERS:
Could you please add a check for that setting, so that an error will be thrown correctly when you try to save large numbers of settings entries?!

STILL NOT WORKING CORRECTLY
So now we STILL have the problem that a url used by one of the translations keeps showing us the garbled page even though the pages url has been changed.
We tried to reuse this url with the new, working translation, but it still shows the old one.
Where can we find this remnant redirect in the DB and remove it?

This page: hidden link doesn't exist anymore, but it still shows!

Cheers

January 16, 2019 at 1:13 am #3095192

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

Did increasing the MaxInputVars resolve the first issue ?

We have a feature request program that our developers review and i will be adding this as a feature request

now regarding this page , i can see that the original page is still indexed as well hidden link

please verify that they are not residing still somewhere within the trash

additionally try running the following troubleshooting actions

go to WPML => Support , and click on "Troubleshooting" while in the Troubleshooting page please perform the actions. (specifically "set language information" but i recommend performing all of them"

NOTE : Do NOT perform a RESET , this will clear out all of your WPML Work.

The topic ‘[Closed] The configuration is not saved anymore & the pages are not correctly translated’ is closed to new replies.