This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Raja Mohammed 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Raja Mohammed.

Author Posts
May 3, 2019 at 8:49 am #3732377

kathleenV

Tell us what you are trying to do? There is a file that includes the strings in the database that takes over 180 MB

Is there any documentation that you are following? No, i already made a ticket for this issue before.

Is there a similar example that we can see? You can login to the website

What is the link to your site? hidden link

May 3, 2019 at 9:02 am #3732441

kathleenV

Hello, some additional info: this is the file in database:
c0me_icl_string_pages (181.3MB)

May 3, 2019 at 10:37 am #3733223

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hi there,

Sorry that you are having performance issues with our plugin. I will help you with it.

Please share a snapshot copy of your site, You can use the Duplicator plugin to create a snapshot of the site and share the package link with me http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

I have enabled private fields for you to securely share the details.

Kind regards
Raja

May 3, 2019 at 12:44 pm #3734303

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hi there,

Thanks for the access and the duplicator package. You can clean up the cache in strings table by executing the below query in MySql database one at a time. Let me know if you can perform this operation.

Before you proceed, Please secure a backup of your site.

TRUNCATE TABLE wp_icl_string_pages;

TRUNCATE TABLE  wp_icl_string_urls;

After truncating the table you will see some slowness in your site which is expected until WPML scans all the pages and URL. The performance will improve after some time.

If you need assistance, Let me know. I can help you with the operation. Just ensure you have a backup of your site.

Kind regards
Raja

May 3, 2019 at 12:46 pm #3734315

kathleenV

Hello

Since it's the first time after working lots of time with wpml, that i have this issue, i don't have the skills to perform this operation. Can i have some help please?

Thx already for taking a look

Kind regards

Kathleen

May 3, 2019 at 12:50 pm #3734323

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

I hope you have a backup of your site. I am proceeding with the process.

Kind regards
Raja

May 3, 2019 at 12:51 pm #3734331

kathleenV

Yes i have a backup!

Thank you so very much, already!

Kind regards

Kathleen

May 3, 2019 at 1:02 pm #3734435

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hi there,

I have executed the query, Please observe the changed. You will see some slowness but this will improve after some time. I would request you please check the performance after an hour or two and let me know if you still have any issues.

Kind regards
Raja

May 3, 2019 at 1:05 pm #3734465

kathleenV

Hello, thank you, i will do that.
I an previous ticket about the same issue, you college explained this method ( see screenshots attached). Is your solution the the same outcome but in another work around?
Kind regards

Kathleen

May 6, 2019 at 3:03 am #3744655

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hi Kathleen

Hope you have a great weekend,
The solution I have attempted is not the same, I have attempted a database action to clean up any cache. The solution that was given to you is to prevent string registration which will help in most of the cases.

I hope everything is alright now, Please let me know the status of your issue.

Kind regards
Raja

May 6, 2019 at 10:20 am #3746973

kathleenV

Hello

Everything looks alright now! Thank you for that!

Is it necessary that i do the steps like your college showed, to prevent this from happening again?
I tried this earlier, but failed to do it right. Can you assist me on that one to, please?

Kind regards

Kathleen Verhelle

May 6, 2019 at 10:48 am #3747151

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hi,

If you encounter the issue again with the enormous size of the icl_string_pages table it's better to try the steps mentioned in my reply https://wpml.org/forums/topic/the-database-uses-200mb-for-icl-strings-same-problem-as-before/#post-3734303

Preventing string from registration will increase general performance which may not help when there is a need in database optimization.

I hope it's clear now 🙂

Kind regards
Raja

May 9, 2019 at 6:09 am #3773227

kathleenV

Hello,

So its possible that the issue shows up again? There is no permanent solution?

Kind regards

Kathleen

May 9, 2019 at 11:23 am #3775593

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

HI Kathleen,

This is probably a solution we have right now. I am not sure this will happen again or not. However, In case if it occurs please write to us.

We will be ready to help you in any case.

Kind regards
Raja