This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I use The Events Calendar plugin. When I switch the month in the Calendar, the name of the months is not correctly translated. Solution: When you switch months, the calendar is refreshed using AJAX. This is the cause of the language switch.

To solve this, follow these steps: - Go to WPML -> Languages - Scroll down to the "Language filtering for AJAX operations" section. - Enable the "Store a language cookie to support language filtering for AJAX" option - Save

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by farisR 6 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Vincenzo.

Author Posts
April 4, 2019 at 1:00 pm

farisR

I am trying to translate The Events Calendar Plugin (free version) and I'm having serious problems.

Although I'm having some issues with finding certain words or phrases (e.g. "Events for" at the top of the page referenced below) and I'm therefore unable to translate them with string translation, the main problem I'm having currently is stopping the plugin from changing language when I click on a link within a calendar (for example to change month, or to see all events).

For example, if you visit this page:
hidden link

It should be in Welsh (CY).
And hopefully it will be in Welsh when you visit it.
But if you click on "Mawrth" on the left (Mawrth=March in Welsh), we end up in English again, even though the link takes us to hidden link (i.e. still with the CY in the path)

And if you then click on the (now in English) April link on the right, we go back to hidden link and we are still in English.

Now all of the above is with Language URL Format set to "Different languages in directories", which WPML seems to think won't work (because WordPress is in a directory called "/wp" rather than in the root).

But up until today, I've been using "Language name added as a parameter" and it result was no different.

Just in case, I clicked on the Translate Link Targets option to re-scan, but it doesn't seem to have done any good.

It is driving me mad.

On top of everything else, I appear to be unable to translate the The Events Calendar plugin's main slug. It is set to "whatson" in English. At one point I was certain I could see it in the Post Type Translation section, but now it doesn't seem to be visible.

Look, I know I'm talking about three issues in this ticket. And really you only want one at a time. So can we concentrate on the language changing back to English when links within the The Events Calendar events page are clicked please?

This site is not in production. It is under development. I have full backups. You can make any changes you want or delete/add anything you want. No harm can be done.

p.s. I really don't like having to post in a public forum. Can these questions not be made private?

April 5, 2019 at 4:20 pm #3545859

Vincenzo
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello, thank you for contacting WPML Support!

1. From what I can see, the calendar is refreshed using AJAX. This is the likely cause of the language switch.

To solve this, please follow these steps:
- Go to WPML -> Languages
- Scroll down to the "Language filtering for AJAX operations" section.
- Enable the "Store a language cookie to support language filtering for AJAX" option
- Save

2. About the notice that you see when the Language URL Format is set to "Different languages in directories", you can safely ignore it, as the option is working correctly on your site.

3. For the last issue, please take a look at this section of our related documentation:
- https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/build-multilingual-events-websites-events-calendar-wpml/#translate-events-page

Search also the "whatson" string in WPML -> String Translation and try to translate it.

If this is not working, please open a new ticket about it.
- This helps us to bring you a better service and also help other users with similar problems to find solutions when searching the forum.

4. Finally, About the privacy, please note that all the links you posted are visible only to me and you. No other forum visitors or clients will be able to see the links.

If you wish, once this ticket is solved, I can set all your answers as private and edit your first post, removing what you wish to be removed.

Please let me know if this solves the issue or if you need further details.

Thank you

April 12, 2019 at 10:23 am #3597635

farisR

Thank you very much for your assistance. The Ajax tick certainly resolved the main issue that was driving me mad. I will investigate the other issues further and will open separate tickets if need be if I still need help.

Thank you again!

April 12, 2019 at 10:26 am #3597647

farisR

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!