This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Diego Pereira 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Diego Pereira.

Author Posts
September 19, 2018 at 7:33 pm

antonioO-11

I get the Language switcher in Home (in main menu), but other pages only show one language in it (no switching possibility, regardless of the style of menu of Language switch (dropdown or list). It's like if WPML is aware of the other languages only in Home Page. In other words, in pages other than Home I see the flag with the language name on the right, but there should be a down arrow that makes appear the list with the other flags and language names - instead, I get that only in Home Page. Or if I switch to list style instead of dropdown in WPML settings, I get all the languages only in Home Page's menu, while other pages' menu have one flag only (even if there are translations in other languages set and completed 100%).

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
for example, /contatti/

I expected to see:
a language switcher with more than 1 language (e.g. in Home Page it works fine instead).

Instead, I got:
only one language, clickable without any effect, and with no way to switch to other languages.

September 20, 2018 at 7:22 pm #2753132

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello @antonioo-11, welcome to the WPML support Forum!

Usually this happens when the pages have not yet been translated. Please go to Pages > All Pages and check if there is a translation for the page.

I also checked the settings of your server through debug log and saw that some items need attention:
Increase WP memory
Please increase the PHP memory limit to 256mb. Currently this memory is set to 40mb only.
https://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Increasing_memory_allocated_to_PHP

Please let me know if it worked for you.

All the best,
Diego

September 22, 2018 at 3:51 pm #2757719

antonioO-11

I have both increased the PHP memory limit to your suggested value, and checked if the pages have been translated: for example, in /contatti/ page (but also other pages) there are translations at 100%, but there is the already described problem.

With my previous message I attached the site duplicate so you can check.

September 24, 2018 at 2:27 pm #2760779

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hi there,

Thanks. I duplicated the website on my local server using the duplicator package. Here's what I discovered:
- There is several translations for the "Home" page (don't know why) - See screenshot
- There is some translations for the other page, but they are not published

I fixed the issue on the "Gallery" page using the steps below:
- Go to the edit screen of the page (default language)
- Change the language using the Language Switcher at the top admin bar
- If it display a warning, click on "Edit Anyway"
- Click on "Publish"

Now the english link should be displayed on the "Gallery page". Please use the same steps on the other pages to fix the issue.

Regarding the several "Home" translations, I recommend the following:
- Go to Pages > All Pages
- Change the language using the Language Switcher at the top admin bar
- Delete the "home" pages that are not published yet. Make sure you do not lose important information before deleting the page.
- Go to Trash and delete the pages from here as well
- Go to Pages > All Pages, change the language to the default language and create the translations again

>>> IMPORTANT: Please backup your site first before making any change, this is important for security reasons.

Please let me know if it worked for you.

Kind Regards,
Diego