We have just released WPML 4.3.3. Before reporting issues please make sure to update - this version resolves all known issues with the major WPML 4.3 release

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by philippR-10 3 years, 7 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Tia.

Author Posts
March 4, 2016 at 4:57 am #829726

nicolasV-12

I am trying to: Have meta description in correct (French) language to appear in Google results, at the moment : english everywhere (and it's not even the "main" language", which id French sinds the begining).

URL of (my) website where problem appears: hidden link

I expected to see: French meta description appearing in Google results, that are correctly (& manually) entered in Yoast SEO. The problem only appeared when we translaterd the site a few months ago (English and Dutch) (I suppose it's logic, and languages - strings? - must conflict).

I'm sometimes thinking of changing of multilingual solution, I heared yours is somewhat the most complete but also the most subject to fine-tuning (and not time-sparing).

Show me they're wrong ! 😉

Thanks in advance,

Nicolas

Instead, I got: english meta descriptions

Steps to duplicate the issue: go to Google.com, type "pain di djou" and see the results (meta title is ok... sometimes... (main is in french, paindidjou.be/sans-gluten, title in English..)

March 6, 2016 at 6:42 pm #831071

Tia

Hello. Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I am happy to help you with this.

It seems the meta description tag is missing from the website. I checked the source and confirmed with a meta search. (see screenshot).

The child theme may be missing WordPress hooks in the header.php for Yoast to include this correctly. Make sure that <?php wp_head(); ?>is included before the closing </head> tag.

Please let me know if this resolves your issue or if you still need help.

March 7, 2016 at 9:10 am #831353

nicolasV-12

Hello Tia, thank you for the answer.

My child-theme doesn't include any modification to the header, the loaded file is then the one from the original theme aka Divi by Elegant Theme.

And I checked the header.php file and the <?php wp_head(); ?> line is well there..

The thing is I can see some meta description when inspecting the page (see screenshot).

Isn't it the good way to do it?
I see two "meta holder" :
one just before the comment "This site is optimized with the Yoast SEO plugin..."
and the second : <meta property="og:description" (is it OpenGraph, then for Facebook?).

Thanks for your help,

Nicolas

March 7, 2016 at 9:28 am #831373

nicolasV-12

The "og" thing made me try something in Facebook. I tried to share the page on my profile, to see which description is diosplayed.

When using "hidden link" the description is in English.

When using "hidden link" the description is in French.

Problem is the main language of the site is French.. and the description should follow this preset.

I saw a thread on your forum here : https://wpml.org/forums/topic/unable-to-translate-seo-yoast-meta-desctiption-using-wpml-string-translation/

Is this somehow related?

Edit : I see that the main language is set to english (US). I must have changed that trying to figure out a solution.

Problem is I can't change it in the original "settings > general" page (option-general.php) it saves but nothing change...

Edit-edit : Okay I see that the language shown in this general setting page is related to the one chosen/set in the admin menu (up, with the flag).

I changed it in your setting page. The main language is now French, but when I try to paste hidden link in Facebook it's still English description.

Has this something to do with cache, does it need time to adapt?

Again, thanks for your help !

Nicolas

March 7, 2016 at 10:13 pm #832220

Tia

Social networks are going to use meta property="og:description": hidden link

Search engines are going to use meta name="description": hidden link

To clear the cache out of Facebook, you can use a developer debug tool:
hidden link

I did not see the meta name="description" in the code which could be the problem. To rule that out I would like to take a closer look.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.

The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

** IMPORTANT **

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.

- If needed, I will be using a plugin called 'Duplicator' (https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator) to make a local copy of the website for testing purposes and/or Adminer (https://wordpress.org/plugins/adminer/) to inspect the database. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Do I have your permission to move forward with either Duplicator or Adminer, if needed?

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:

hidden link

March 8, 2016 at 5:30 pm #833137

nicolasV-12

Hi Tia,

I just re-read your article "https://wpml.org/documentation/support/multilingual-seo/".

I checked my homepage settings to look for possible problems and I noticed that a serie of custom fields elements are set to "translate" (see printscreen).

Could it also be a problem in my case?

One thing I didn't mentioned is that originally the website was only in french, it was translated a few months ago (and cannot ensure that the "meta problem" was linked).

I read on the web that it was more optimal to set everything in English and then translate, what's your input on that point?

I'm looking to hearing from you, my client is getting nervous about that, and I can't loose this one, long-terms projects in the pipe.

Thanks again for your help !

Greetings, Nicolas

March 9, 2016 at 10:17 pm #834316

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-05:00)

Hi Nicolas, Tia is off today and I am assisting while she is away. I will do some more research and touch base with her tomorrow, and we will be back in touch. Thanks!
Lauren

March 10, 2016 at 10:19 pm #835374

Tia

Hello, Nicolas. Thank you for your patience.

Was the language default changed to French. I now see that French is at the main domain: paindidjou.be and English is now paindidjou.be?lang=en. The French meta description now appears but not the English or Dutch so it's still the same problem.

So going to Yoast settings: SEO > Titles and Metas > Homepage, we get the message "You can determine the title and description for the front page by editing the front page itself »". Going to the English version of the homepage (see screenshot) the meta actually needs to be edited using the Snippet editor. It is currently missing which was probably why it wasn't showing up for French & Dutch.

Going to the inner pages such as "eBakkery" we get the same issue with no English or Dutch meta description tags. Viewing the source, Yoast gives us the reason why:

"<!-- Admin only notice: this page doesn't show a meta description because it doesn't have one, either write it for this page specifically or go into the SEO -> Titles menu and set up a template. -->"

You can set this using the same Snippet editor as the homepage or going to SEO > Titles and Metas > Post Types tab to create auto content.

After everything has been set, I suggest doing the following:

1. Clearing cache including WP Super Cache.

2. Verify the description exist in the code.

3. Using Google Wemaster Toolsand Bing Wemaster Tools to recrawl your website to help encourage the indexing of the updated meta tags. It might take anywhere from a week to a month for this to take full effect.

Please let me know if this resolves your issue or if you still need help.

March 31, 2016 at 6:53 am #849635

nicolasV-12

Hi Tia,

Thank you for your assistance. We are working on a refresh of the website, I gonna take care of SEO more carefully.

One last thing, we migrated our website to a new host : WPEngine.
Is it possible to have a "WPML test license" for the staging?

Domain is : hidden link

Thanks again for your help.

Nicolas

March 31, 2016 at 1:39 pm #850200

Tia

Your license is allowed multiple site usage. Only need to register the URL and get a key here: https://wpml.org/account/sites/

October 3, 2018 at 12:34 pm #2784510

philippR-10

Hi there,
we do have a very similar problem. We have German as our main language and in google search results the right URL will come up, however, the wrong meta description is showing (in English). we have tried everything incl. hiring SEO experts. Nothing is working, yet. So assuming this may be a WPML issue - hidden link