This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
July 1, 2019 at 10:23 pm

arlendF

Hello,

I was able to translate every sub menu that appears in the sidebar under "Learn About Medicare" dropdown. And everything was looking and working great.

Then the final task that I did was manually translate the Main Menu. As soon as I did this the language switcher no longer appears on any page.

I read through the documentation and some of the support tickets and I tried a few things but nothing has fixed it. It keeps running me in a circle saying:

Your menu includes custom items, which you need to translate using WPML's String Translation.
1. Translate these strings: Main Menu
2. When you're done translating, return here and run the menu synchronization again. This will use the strings that you translated to update the menus.

I go and I translate these strings and it says "Translation Complete" (a couple of them were just hashtags for the dropdowns) and I just keep getting the same thing over and over again and can't seem to resolve this.

Do you know what I might be doing wrong? The Language switcher was appearing right after the "Contact Us" menu.

hidden link

July 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm #4122437

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the WPML Support Forum.

Could you please go to WPML -> WP Menus Sync and let me know if the sync option solves the issue?

Kind regards
Andreas

July 2, 2019 at 12:38 am #4122561

arlendF

Hi Andreas,

I just tried it again and same thing keeps happening. Please see screenshot.

July 2, 2019 at 4:33 pm #4128759

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

There are a few items that need to be translated on String Translation and one stirng was translated into a double hashtag "##" - I corrected this: The menu is synced and works proper. All links are redirected to the respective Spanish pages.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Kind regards
Andreas

July 2, 2019 at 4:56 pm #4128953

arlendF

Thank you so much for your help. I just had to add the menu switcher to the main menu again and now everything is working perfectly. I do have a question though for the future....

If I add another new page for both languages do I have to do anything other than adding it to the menu system? Do I have to go to WP Menu Sync again and do anything or should it just manually sync?

July 2, 2019 at 6:43 pm #4129463

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hi!

This is a good questions.

If you go to Appearance -> Menus you should see some checkoboxes with options at the bottom of the screen. Here you should select:

Menu Settings -> Auto add pages -> Automatically add new top-level pages to this menu

This will make sure that new created pages are added. You will anzwaz need to translate those pages and at last simply run WPML -> WP Menus Sync to have the menu set on all site languages.

Let me know if you do have any further questions.

Kind regards
Andreas

The topic ‘[Closed] The Main Menu will not translate to Spanish’ is closed to new replies.