Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.6 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Yvette 2 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
December 6, 2019 at 3:12 pm #5084785

stefanS-102

I´ve asked this multiple times before but have not gotten any reply.

1. WPML creates multiple copies of all images in each language making the media library a mess, it also creates multiple "blank files" in the media library

2. In the translation management tool the same filenames will appear 20-30 times sometimes, just repeating itself, its a pain to click through these each time we wont to translate something, we dont want to translate the file names, but we do want the images available in the media library for all languages.

December 10, 2019 at 9:25 am #5097993

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+01:00)

Hello

1. Images in the Media Library
Yes, the "image" post types will be repeated/duplicated in the wp-posts table, one for each language installed, and thereby, you will see the same images in all Media Library versions.

This is described here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/media-translation/

So, what you describe is expected. It is what allows your images to be seen in each language space.

Important: this does not mean that the image *file* is duplicated. Just the entries in the wp-posts table that will all point to the same physical image file.

2.Blank Files
You wrote: "..it also creates multiple "blank files" ..."
I am not clear what you mean by this. Perhaps you can upload a screenshot of what you mean?

3. Filenames
You wrote: "..we dont want to translate the file names, but we do want the images available in the media library for all languages..."

I am not at all clear about what you are experiencing with Translation Management. Normally, I would not expect filenames to appear but I could imagine a situation where an image/media reference object-id would appear.

Can you also upload a screenshot for this as well?

December 11, 2019 at 12:53 am #5103619

stefanS-102

Hi, thank you for your reply.

Yes i understand that it duplicates in the database for each language, but it also duplicates multiple times inside each countries media library together with a lot of blank files. Each images has multiple duplicates.

See attached picture.

The file captions, or titles, not sure what it is, appears multiple times in the translation tools. We dont want to translate media at all, just have it available in each media library.

December 11, 2019 at 6:57 am #5104081

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+01:00)

OK - I understand.

I have an older script that I think can fix this the database entries for you and then we can see what is causing this behaviour.

-Please make sure that you have a backup of your system that you are comfortable installing.

- Temporary Access to your system
Please provide access to your system (wp-admin and ftp) so that I can further investigate this particular problem. The fields to provide this data are included in a private section that I will open for your next response. You can find it above the comments area. The information in this private section is only visible between WPML Support and you.

Thanks

The topic ‘[Closed] The media library gets multiple duplicates’ is closed to new replies.