This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Marcos Vinicios Barreto 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcos Vinicios Barreto.

Author Posts
July 25, 2019 at 4:13 pm

jonC-9

I am trying to:
Translate 5 specific pages into 5 languages.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
On the back-end, nothing on the front-end yet.

I expected to see:
I followed the documented procedure to the letter, twice. I expected to duplicate the pages into their other languages, and then go to edit with the page starting as a clone of English.

Translations exist for only the pages we are trying to translate, so you can start there. We have setup a field group for each module we used on the front end, and then used the flexible content field and clone fields to create a flexible builder, which automatically pulls in the appropriate fields.

Instead, I got:
None of the fields were cloned. And, the pages won't save (all the field data is lost on save).

July 25, 2019 at 6:04 pm #4285449

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Bahia (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I took a detailed look in your website settings from your WordPress Dashboard. Specifically I took a look at the 'Give' page from your WordPress Dashboard > Pages settings. Here what I recommend:

1 - When using the Advanced Custom Fields to build your page content you will need to set the translations preferences for each custom field of your fields group. Currently I see many of your fields has a 'don't translate' or 'translate' values, when you setup your fields this way you won't see the values cloned across languages.

2 - You only need to set your 'Field Groups (acf-field-group)' as translatable if you are going to translate the custom fields settings labels or any other description texts only visibile in the backend. Otherwise you can set it as 'Not translatable' you will still see the custom fields settings across languages when duplicating a page or post. It will also make sure you have the exact same fields in all your languages.

See: https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/

Please, let me know if you need any additional assistance and clarifications. Have a nice day.

July 25, 2019 at 6:45 pm #4285601

jonC-9

Thank you for the response Marcos.

On #1, Ok, we will go through all field groups and set each of the fields appropriately. Should they all be set to translate? Copy? Copy Once?

Thanks,

James

July 25, 2019 at 8:38 pm #4285973

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello James,

Thank you for the updates. It varies according your needs, for example you might want to copy the images of your custom fields to your secondary languages this way you should set it to 'copy' or 'copy once' where:

copy - Your custom fields values will be kept in sychronization, it means if you change the image in the default site langauge it will be changed in your secondary languages too.

copy once - Your custom fields values will be copied across languages but they won't be kept in synchronization, it means if you change a image in your default site language, this change WON'T be reflected in your secondary languages.

At the onther hand, if you have an image title for example you might want to translate this title for your secondary language, in this case you would choose the 'translate' as your translation prefence choice for your custom fields.

Please, refer to: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-custom-fields/ in order to learn more on how to proper set your translation preferences. Hope it helps, have a nice day.

July 26, 2019 at 5:55 pm #4291273

jonC-9

Ok, we will try changing all the fields to copy once, since we want to use the english version as a starting point for creating the translated versions.

It seems ludicrous to me that there isn't a way to do this globally at once vs. all individually. We are using flexible content fields with clone fields, and each of our field groups are typically a module used in the flexible content field... we have about 64 field groups, which contain over 2000 fields in total. That's a ton of field groups and fields to go into to manually change all of these to the same setting.

Is there not a script or alternative solution available?

Thanks,

James

July 26, 2019 at 8:27 pm #4291741

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello James,

Thank you for the updates. In the case of repeater fields you can set the translation preference for your main repeater field instead of going through every individual repeater subfields as you can read at: https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/#setting-the-translation-preference-for-repeater-fields. Please, let me know if it helps, have a nice day.