Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Author Posts
April 14, 2017 at 7:19 am #1254208

anitaK-2

Dear Support,

All of a sudden I realized to have hundreds of 404 pages due to a wrong association between "product-category" and "product" string with the proper language. I have already check the permalinks settings and they appear correct.

Could you please help me to solve this issue, this is causing me a severe ranking drop.

Best regards.

April 14, 2017 at 5:35 pm #1254585

Bruno

Thank you for contacting us.

Please, click on the WPML > Support > Troubleshooting. Look at the 'Clean up' and click on these buttons:
-- Clear the cache in WPML
-- Remove ghost entries from the translation tables
-- Fix element_type collation
-- Set language information
-- Fix post type assignment for translations

If the problem persists, please, what is the version of WPML and WP are you using? I would like to know more about your installation. Can you please provide your WPML Debug information in the debug field below? http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

Thank you.

April 24, 2017 at 7:13 pm #1260691

anitaK-2

Dear Bruno,

I followed your instructions and waited few days. Unfortunately, Google webmaster is still providing a 404 errors due to the wrong product-category translation.
Concerning the installation version: WPML is 3.6.3 and WP is 4.7.3

Please let me know.

April 24, 2017 at 8:04 pm #1260714

Bruno

Thanks for the feedback. That seems strange. When I access the pages of your site, it opens correctly - no 404 error is displayed.

Could you please update WPML to the latest version that was recently released?

Also, please could you post a screenshot so I can see the error messages that are being displayed in the Google Webmasters dashboard?

Thank you.

April 24, 2017 at 8:27 pm #1260724

anitaK-2

Dear Bruno,

This is a screenshot of webmaster, in the visible German links path it is reported "product-category" which corresponds to the English version, not German.

Is it really necessary to upload WPML to the last version to solve this issue? I am concerned about stability and compatibility issues, it was released very recently...

April 24, 2017 at 10:21 pm #1260782

Bruno

Ideally yes, so we could test. Note, however, that this seems to be related to something else.

Note that in case it is recommended that you fully backup your site before upgrading your plugins.

Maybe some link that has been indexed by search engines and is trying to access the old URL. Maybe some site is redirecting to the old URL. That's because the links on your site are working properly in all languages as you can see.

Thank you.

April 30, 2017 at 4:45 pm #1265140

anitaK-2

Dear Bruno,

Following your suggestion I installed the last version of WPML however, things got worse! Now google webmaster is reporting almost 400 errors, type 404. It is clear that the 404 URL have a wrong language definition. This is mainly affecting the images where their URL is wrongly defined.

This is an example of URL error:

hidden link

in this case instead of "product" WPML should have used the German version "Produkt" and added the /de/ before it. Instead, while the first part of the URL referrers to the EN version, the end referrers to the DE version. This creates the 404.

Could you please help me as soon as possible, before google will penalize me.

Thanks in advance.

F.

May 1, 2017 at 2:52 pm #1265545

Otto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Argentina/Buenos_Aires (GMT-03:00)

Hello,
Bruno is off today. If you don´t mind I will take care of this ticket until he is back.

Can you please try the following:
-Go to WPML > String Translation and search for the product slug (product and/or produkt) and delete it.
-Go to Settings > Permalinks and save again the product slug
-Go to WPML > Translation Management > Multilingual content setup > Custom posts and translate the product slug again

(do the same with the product category slug)

Let me know if this helps, please.

Kind Regards,

Otto

May 1, 2017 at 6:27 pm #1265660

anitaK-2

Dear Otto,

Thank you for coming back to me.

I tried to follow your instruction however I have 8 "product" strings associated with the following domains:

revslider
woocommerce
legenda
js_composer
woocommerce-shortcodes
woocommerce-multilingual
woocommerce
WordPress

Which string shall I delete (I assume you mean leave a blank entry)?

Thanks in advance.

F.

May 1, 2017 at 8:26 pm #1265702

Otto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Argentina/Buenos_Aires (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thanks! Can I take a look at your site?

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok for you.

** IMPORTANT **

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:

hidden link

Kind Regards,

Otto

May 3, 2017 at 10:12 pm #1267575

Bruno

Thank you.

This problem appears to be happening because the URL structure has changed. For example, initially, it seems that the URL was this way: hidden link

This URL, however, is being redirected to this URL: hidden link

For those URLs that are displaying the page 404 error, they are not happening in WPML or in languages, but because those URLs have changed.

For English, this is redirecting correctly. For other languages, you can use the plugin that you are using at this moment, "Quick Redirects" to do the redirection to the correct page.

Unfortunately, it does not have a way to automate it. You need to see the URLs that are incorrect on Google, create a rule for the correct page, and wait for Google to index it again.

About its second question, may I kindly ask you please to open a new ticket for your new question? This will also help other users with similar problems find solutions when searching the forum.

Thank you.

May 4, 2017 at 8:36 pm #1268635

anitaK-2

Dear Bruno,

I am afraid that there is a misunderstanding. The product that you have selected indeed has changed the structure and redirected, therefore it is not among the 404 error list given by google.

In my last email I have copied 3 clear cases (taken from the 404 list) where the URL structure is a clear mix between English and German and it is different than your example. The 404 URL is:

de/product/blown-glass-sculpture-sale-venetian-glass/elisabetta-blown-glass-sculpture-29cm-11/

Here, the prefix is DE, so is supposed to be a German URL. At the same time the "product" is not "Produkt".

Please let me know your thoughts.

Best regards.

May 5, 2017 at 12:04 am #1268733

Bruno

Hello,

That was an example I posted above. The link that I showed above is the link that is in the image that you posted previously, except that it is without the language code.

What I tried to say was, if the link structure was changed, the English URL is doing the redirection correctly. For those pages that are displayed on page 404, they need to be handled manually.

And I say this because by accessing the pages directly from the site, these errors are not happening. That is, this is not the problem of the current link structure of your site, but of old links.

For example, by accessing this link (English): product/blown-glass-sculpture-sale-venetian-glass, the page loads correctly. Switching to German, for example, the page also loads correctly. There is no 404 error here.

If the page "de/product/blown-glass-sculpture-sale-venetian-glass/elisabetta-blown-glass-sculpture-29cm-11" has been indexed somewhere else and Google is still looking at that page (and therefore the 404 error), you should redirect to the correct page. When Google tries to access it, it will be redirected to the correct page and 404 errors will no longer be displayed.

I hope I have been able to explain why it is necessary to create redirects for these pages, as this is not an error of the current links, but of old ones.

Please let me know if I can help with any other questions you may have. I'll be happy to help.

Thank you.