This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 0.45 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Author Posts
April 17, 2015 at 2:38 pm #601534

beverlyM

I am trying to:
translate product category from english to swedish
URL of (my) website where problem appears:
all pages
I expected to see:
a properly working link between the product pages
Instead, I got:
404 not found

April 17, 2015 at 2:38 pm #601536

beverlyM

The english page is here:
hidden link

The swedish page is here:
hidden link

The problem is the translated link between them. Right now when you click the flag from one of the pages, the internal link between them is not working.

April 20, 2015 at 7:00 am #602174

Mladen Andrejic

Hello,

I think this is the problem with product-category base. Here is what you need to do :

1. Open WPML > Themes and plugins localization (Make sure option "Translate by WPML" is being used)
2. Under section "Strings in the plugins" check "WooCommerce" and "WooCommerce Multilingual" and hit "Scan the selected plugins for strings" button
3. Open WPML > String Translation
4. In search bar type in "product-category" and hit search button
5. You should have 5 results (I will provide you a screenshot)
6. Translate each one of them to other languages (make sure you check "translation complete")

Screenshot : hidden link

Also, there is one more thing that needs to be set up in order to have it fully functional.

1. Open Settings > Permalinks
2. Input "product-category" in "Product Category Base" under section "Optional" (I will provide you another screenshot)
3. Hit Save changes

Screenshot : hidden link

Now everything should work as expected.

April 20, 2015 at 10:32 am #602400

beverlyM

I have followed your guide but got stuck on point 2. Its been loading since over 1 hr.
Screenshot: hidden link

April 20, 2015 at 11:27 am #602445

Mladen Andrejic

Hello,

You can just reload the page and repeat the scanning process. After it's completed, follow the further instructions.

Note : You don't have to scan all plugins for strings, just "WooCommerce" and "WooCommerce Multilingual".

April 20, 2015 at 11:57 am #602466

beverlyM

3 hrs still spinning

April 20, 2015 at 11:58 am #602468

Mladen Andrejic

Hello,

Have you seen the post above?

Please, take a look again : https://wpml.org/forums/topic/the-product-category-is-not-properly-translated-causing-language-switch-to-fail/#post-602445

Thanks.

April 20, 2015 at 12:09 pm #602476

beverlyM

since the scan seems unsuccesful I only found 3 strings to translate,, and now swedish products got a new URL but this also translated the english ones.

I think I have somewhere an option to "copy" the category . I cant find out where.

April 20, 2015 at 12:18 pm #602485

Mladen Andrejic

Hello,

Product categories don't have "Copy" option. It's just "translate" and "do nothing". You can check under WPML > Translation Management > Multilingual Content Setup (Section "Custom Taxonomies")

1. Can you please update our plugins to the latest versions?

// NOTE : Please make a backup of your website before updating. Thanks.

2. After the update try to scan the strings again and see what happens

3. You can also check our documentation (Section : "How to configure the product base and translate it") https://wpml.org/documentation/support/translating-woocommerce-sites-default-language-english/

Thanks.

April 21, 2015 at 8:57 am #603081

beverlyM

Update done.
Ongoing: re-scanning of strings.

Status right now.
If I go to home page, click english, and click my way to products. Then the correct URL is there.
And if I visit the english page and click the swedish flag . Then its also correct.

But when I go to swedish page and want to click the english flag, then its wrong.

Example:

prod cat.
hidden link
from english to swedish works!
hidden link

but from se to en, its linking to the wrong URL.

FYI; I have filed another support issue because my automatic string download is not working. Perhaps that is same reason why my scanning of strings is not working.
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/automatic-translations-fail/

April 21, 2015 at 9:11 am #603098

Mladen Andrejic

Hello,

I can see what the problem is, and this is happening because the product-category base is not properly configure.

I see that your default language is Swedish, but it's important that product-category base is in English and translated to Swedish. If your product-category base is written in Swedish, system will recognize this string as English, therefore errors appear. As you can see here in the table https://wpml.org/documentation/support/translating-woocommerce-sites-default-language-english/

Please, read again the post I sent you and make sure you went through all the steps and that you configured everything as it should be https://wpml.org/forums/topic/the-product-category-is-not-properly-translated-causing-language-switch-to-fail/#post-602174

Thanks.

April 21, 2015 at 11:54 am #603238

beverlyM

Hi

The product category and categories are now working. I can now use the language switcher and the link between categories are good.

A new problem occurred. Now I can not access any products. Seems to be problem with the product slug.
Do I start a new ticket?

See below for more info.

About category problem. All done: hidden link

please note, that one of the slugs could not be found in the string translation until the "permalink" step was made. after this permalink step , I found all slugs in the string translation.

next time:
most probably it would be good to start with the permalink issue, and then scan the strings.

New problem!

but I found this related to product slugs:
hidden link
hidden link

April 21, 2015 at 11:59 am #603241

Mladen Andrejic

Hello,

Glad to hear that it works now! And thanks for the suggestion.

As your original issue is resolved may I kindly ask you to open a new ticket for your issue?
This will also help other users with similar problems find solutions when searching the forum.

Thanks.