Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Wordpress displays "The site is experiencing technical difficulties". when wpml is active

Solution: Inspect WordPress or the server error logs, In this case the issue is due to an incomplete WPML download, Following the manual installation steps resolves the issue https://wpml.org/forums/topic/the-site-is-experiencing-technical-difficulties-9/#post-4737961

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by tonyL-14 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Raja Mohammed.

Author Posts
October 10, 2019 at 10:26 am #4729287

tonyL-14

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I was trying to install the plugin to my wordpress. After I activated the plugin, it shows "The site is experiencing technical difficulties." and my backend is down. I have to go to secure mode and deactivate the plugin to get the backend back.

October 10, 2019 at 10:37 am #4729393

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello there,

The error message is too generic, details about the error will be available in the debug.log or in the server error log.

It would be good if you can provide me with the WordPress debug.log (not WPML debug information).

To enable it, open your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

In this case, the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/ directory.

If you can paste your debug.log to pastebin.com and provide me that link it would be great! (This is the cleanest way because sometimes the logs are long and create a complete mess in the discussion).

Please also share with us the server error log which will be usually in the WordPress root or you can request the hosting service provider to help you with the file.

Kind regards
Raja

October 11, 2019 at 3:19 am #4735299

tonyL-14

Hi Raja,

Thanks for the error log here:https://pastebin.com/VimQpkTk

Thanks
Tony

October 11, 2019 at 12:10 pm #4737961

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Thanks for the information, The error seems to be related to an incomplete or corrupt file in the WPML plugin. I would suggest reinstalling the plugin using the below step.

-- Backup your site and database
-- Deactivate and remove All the WPML plugin from WP dashboard plugins section, This won't cause any data loss
-- Download a fresh copy of WPML plugin from you WPML account dashboard https://wpml.org/account/downloads/
-- Upload the fresh copy of the newer version of WPML multilingual CMS plugin to your site
-- Activate the plugin and register if required
-- Update the rest of the WPML plugin from plugins > Add New > Commercial Tab

Let me know if that helps.

Kind regards
Raja

October 14, 2019 at 4:41 am #4746881

tonyL-14

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!