Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:when you copy a product in WooCommerce, the title is not being translated in the shop loop. It stays in the original language. On the single product page the title is translated properly though. To get the title being translated on the shop loop, you have to switch the language first in the backend, and then go into the product details and save it once more. Solution: The reason why the issue happens, it's because when you create a copy of the product, the copy has the "draft" status.

When you publish the modified copy, the translations remain as drafts, they don't get the status "published". The only way to fix this is to manually open the translated products (with the top admin bar switcher) and change the status in the page directly.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by pieterV-20 2 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Laura.

Author Posts
April 17, 2020 at 8:07 pm #5935381

pieterV-20

Today I noticed that, when you copy a product in WooCommerce, the title is not being translated in the shop loop. It stays in the original language. On the single product page the title is translated properly though. To get the title being translated on the shop loop, you have to switch the language first in the backend, and then go into the product details and save it once more.

April 19, 2020 at 3:25 pm #5942987

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

thanks for contacting us.

There is a page where I can see the issue?

What do you mean exactly with "shop loop", the shop page?
Would be possible to have short video showing your full process? You can easily make one with Loom (www.loom.com)

April 20, 2020 at 4:47 pm #5952091

pieterV-20

Hi Laura,

the site is currently still under development, while the old site is still live. Therefore, if you want to see the staging site, you have to change your hosts file. Shall I send you the IP address of the development server?

Anyway, you can look at the screencast here: hidden link

Kind regards,
Pieter

April 21, 2020 at 9:42 am #5957257

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hi Pieter,

thanks a lot for the screencast, I perfectly understood the issue. I think I've seen something similar in the past, and it's likely related to how the shop page is cached.

You can try this:
1. take a backup of the site
2. try WPML troubleshooting option:
- go to WPML > Support > troubleshooting
- click on all the button in the "Clean up section"
3. try WooCommerce troubleshooting
- go to WooCommerce > Status > Tools
- click on "clear transients"

If nothing helps, please try a compatibility test
- backup your site
- disable all plugin except WooCommerce, WPML and its addons
- disable the child theme
- check if the issue is happening again
- if it's not, reactivate your plugins one by one, checking every time if the issue shows up again
- lastly, reactivate your theme

April 28, 2020 at 7:02 am #6008575

pieterV-20

Hi Laura,

I've tested your first solution, but this didn't work. I still have to test solution number 2. I'll keep you updated.

April 29, 2020 at 7:06 am #6017977

pieterV-20

Hi Laura, today I have disabled all plugins and the child theme, but the issue was still there. Now what?

May 7, 2020 at 7:50 am #6077327

pieterV-20

Hi Laura,

I will do this asap. I'll keep you posted.

May 7, 2020 at 1:14 pm #6080325

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

waiting for the copy 🙂

May 16, 2020 at 8:14 pm #6148559

pieterV-20

Hi Laura,

I tried to upload the site twice, but I receive an error (hidden link). Can you check the credentials again? (hidden link)

May 17, 2020 at 7:01 am #6150169

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

the credentials are correct. Please try again, maybe it was a temporary issue.

Otherwise, I can access your site and create a Duplicator package.

May 21, 2020 at 2:07 pm #6187331

pieterV-20

Hi Laura,

I tried, but it failed again. I must say, that my website currently is still under development, while the old site is live with another hosting provider. Therefore, when I want to watch the new site, I must change my hosts file. Maybe this has something to do with it?

Anyway, you can access my site. Your login credentials are here: hidden link

May 22, 2020 at 7:16 am #6192771

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

yes, that's the reason why you can't complete the copy.

Since it's a staging site, could I do tests directly there or do you prefer me to take a copy?
[edit I reread our ticket, I'll take a copy to test caching issues, sorry]

May 23, 2020 at 12:56 pm #6201051

pieterV-20

Hi Laura,

it's ok to do testing directly on the staging server. Will you only take a backup first before you begin: hidden link?

May 23, 2020 at 2:06 pm #6201263

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

The reason why the issue happens, it's because when you create a copy of the product, the copy has the "draft" status.

When you publish the modified copy, the translations remain as drafts, they don't get the status "published". The only way to fix this is to manually open the translated products (with the top admin bar switcher) and change the status in the page directly.

Check this as an example hidden link
If you search this product in the shop, you'll see the English version is correct, because I manually published it, while the French one is wrong, and it's still a draft.

Please let me know if you have more questions about this.

May 27, 2020 at 9:59 am #6227991

pieterV-20

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!