This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: My language switcher suddenly disappears from the main menu

Solution: This was due to low WP Memory. To resolve it, try increasing the WP Memory Limit. You can add this to wp-config.php to increase WP memory:

/** Memory Limit */ define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M'); define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

Add it above the line /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by khalidA-23 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
October 5, 2018 at 4:21 pm #2791294

khalidA-23

I am trying to: I was working on my website and suddenly the top menu language switcher disappear. I reconfigured it again... later on .. it did the same thing

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: kahdal.com

I expected to see: top menu language switcher

Instead, I got: nothing

October 8, 2018 at 7:13 pm #2797134

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this.

Please make sure your website meets the minimum requirements found here: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

Also, if you happened to change themes or change your main menu, this could be the cause of it disappearing. If it happens again, please note what steps you took or changes were made leading up to the change.

I also don't think that your theme has been tested by our compatibility team, so it could possibly be a conflict with the theme. You can switch to a default theme temporarily to see if it continues happening to rule out a conflict.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance and I will be happy to help.

October 8, 2018 at 7:43 pm #2797192

khalidA-23

The WordPress theme page is: hidden link and it is listed that it is WPML compatible.

There is no specific action I did which caused the menu to disappear.. when I was just surfing my website.. it suddenly disappeared and I did re created the menu again. Anyway, I will re create it for the 3rd time now and watch my actions to see when it does start to disappear again.

October 8, 2018 at 8:31 pm #2797265

Lauren
Supporter

Thanks for checking for me. I see that they advertise it as WPML compatible, but it has not been been officially tested by our WPML developers, which is why it is not on our list of compatible themes.

You may also want to enable debug mode in case there are errors in the log that might give some clue as to why it is happening on your site. Let me know if it happens again and I'll be happy to take a look.

October 8, 2018 at 8:36 pm #2797273

khalidA-23

I noticed something in the WPML requirements in my dashboard. Look at this screenshot hidden link . Can you help me how to fix it? It may be causing the menu switcher to disappear.

October 8, 2018 at 8:45 pm #2797287

Lauren
Supporter

Sure thing. The WP Memory could certainly be the cause of the disappearing menu. Please try increasing the WP Memory Limit. Minimum requirements are 128Mb: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

You can add this to wp-config.php to increase WP memory:

/** Memory Limit */
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

Add it above the line /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

As for enabling MBString extension, please ask your hosting provider to change those settings for you. Then hopefully the disappearing menu issue will be resolved.

October 8, 2018 at 8:58 pm #2797308

khalidA-23

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!